1754858 Members
5619 Online
108827 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rlpdaemon

Todd White

rlpdaemon

I am having some problems configuring my hp server to start the rlpdaemon. Any help anyone could give would be appreciated. I am running an L class server with HP_UX 11

Thanks,
Todd
5 REPLIES 5
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

rlpdaemon is started by inetd. Check inetd.conf to see that rlpdaemon is enabled:

printer stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/rlpdaemon rlpdaemon -i

(The above is a single line) Like many inetd programs, rlpdaemon is normally not running until it is needed. In a new installation, rlpdaemon is always enabled.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Jennifer Chiarelli
Regular Advisor

Check the man page for rlpdaemon. It describes a couple of options to start and control access to remote printing.
It's a binary world!
Todd White

I have currently modified my rc scripts according to the man page to start it automatically on startup. I have also tried starting hte daemon manually .. when I do a process list .. I dont see it running .. should I?
Kofi ARTHIABAH
Honored Contributor

I believe rlpdaemon is spawned by the super daemon inetd and so you will not find it in the process table ... if you want to test it you might want to try to telnet to the printer port (515)

# telnet localhost 515

BTW you might want to check your log file for any tell-tale messages...
nothing wrong with me that a few lines of code cannot fix!
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Remove the #(remark) before the line if any. Do inetd -c. Try installing a remote printer from another server to run from this service.
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.