New Discussion юеВ

ServiceGuard signature in LVM physical volumes

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jdamian
Respected Contributor

ServiceGuard signature in LVM physical volumes

Hi.

I know MC/ServiceGuard signs LVM physical volumes of managed volume groups (vgchange -c y). But is this signature the same in every MC/SG cluster (like a flag) or is a generated code (i.e, different values in different clusters) ?

I found some doc (I searched it again but I didn't found) that discussed this value is a 4-byte value starting at 0x12090 position in physical volume. I have three different MC/SG clusters but all they have the same value (0x100).

Thanx in advance

P.D: This value is 0x00 where physical volume is not managed by a cluster.
5 REPLIES 5
Hoefnix
Honored Contributor

Re: ServiceGuard signature in LVM physical volumes

The signiture is not the same on each cluster. If we move disks (using XP1024) between clusters, mc/serviceguard recognise that the disk(volumegroup) belongs to another cluster.

We overwrite this with the vgchange -c y on the new cluster.

HTH,
Peter
Rajeev  Shukla
Honored Contributor

Yes, the value is different for different cluster, thats the reason why when you move a volume group from one cluster to another cluster you have to activate the VG in cluster mode again on another cluster. (to be cluster aware)
Jdamian
Respected Contributor

Then perhaps I'm wrong -- 0x12090 shouldn't be the location of that ID because three different clusters would use three different values.

Does anybody know that location ?

But I'm confused because the value contained in that location in non-cluster physical volumes (for instance, belonging vg00) is 0x0000 as expected.
Dietmar Konermann
Honored Contributor
Solution

The cluster ID on LVM disks is a word at offset 8832. Dont't rely on this... it may change at anytime without notice.

Example:
echo "0d8332?U" | adb /dev/dsk/c4t0d0
208C: 1047653933

This translates to the cluster creation time:
# echo "0d8332?Y" | adb /dev/dsk/c4t0d0
208C: 2003 Mar 14 15:58:53

Best regards...
Dietmar.
"Logic is the beginning of wisdom; not the end." -- Spock (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country)
Francois LAURENT
Frequent Advisor

Hello,
Effectively the ClusterID is not the same. If you have a array replication (like srdf) between 2 arrays, and each array belong to 2 diffirent cluster, you'll have 2 differents ClusterID, and the disk can only be used by 1 cluster.

You can see the CLusterId with :
/usr/contrib/bin/lvm11 -a -d /dev/rdsk/cXtYdZ

--> "Cluster that can use this vg : 1003525071" for exemple.

francois