1761439 Members
4129 Online
108902 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Shared memory allocation problem

SOLVED
Go to solution

Shared memory allocation problem

I ahve just installed two new controller for a DS2300 Disk system with its driver and required patches, and now I am experiencing the attached result problem when trying to start the sybase database.

Urgent, please assist.
3 REPLIES 3
RAC_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Shared memory allocation problem

What is the OS version?? Is this the sybase version 32 bit or 64 bit?? sybase is not getting the required chunk in shared memeory.

sybase is requesting 1.07 Gb and is not geting it. If any of the sybase config file controls that, you may want to reduce it and try.

Other option would be increasing the setting of shmmax kernel parameter. You may also want to get shminfo tool and check what is using shared memory. (You can also use ipsc -moba for it_ man ipcs for deails.

Anil
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Stephen Keane
Honored Contributor

chatr +pd X dataserver

Where X is one of

4K, 16K, 64K, 256K, 1M, 4M, 16M, 64M or 256M

I would start with the largest (256M) and try starting the sysbase database and work down the list until it works. You may need to set +pi X as well.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Your shared memory map for 32bit programs is probably fragmented. This is caused by improper termination (kill -9 or program crashes) for programs that use shared memory. This map cannot be unfragmented so either the server must be rebooted or you must carefully remove unused segments. ipcs -bmop will show you this, but the most useful tool is shminfo from:

ftp://contrib:9unsupp8@hprc.external.hp.com/sysadmin/programs/shminfo/

Note that the URL is ftp and not http. This program will show you everything (and there's a *lot*) that uses the 32bit map.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin