2841 Online
108882 Solutions
New Discussion

Some questiones about VPAR6.0

Jack007
Frequent Advisor

Re: Some questiones about VPAR6.0

Dear Dave:

Your PPT are very very helpful, thanks !

Does VPAR 6.0 support  dynamic configuration of  STORAGE and NETWORK ?

Could you explain the mean of "Enable/disable,OL" ?

When will vPar6.1 be  released?

Will the future version of vpar support much more HP-UX versions, such as 11iv2, 11iv3 Mar. 2010) and When?

And I suggest the default value of "start type" changes to manual. 

Thanks again! 

Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Hi Jack,

> Does VPAR 6.0 support dynamic configuration of

> STORAGE and NETWORK ?

What do you mean by dynamic configuration?  Are you asking if you can dynamically (while the vPar is running) add and remove storage/networking devices or something else?

> Could you explain the mean of "Enable/disable,OL" ?

What my slide said was "Enable/disable, NO OL*".  The "NO OL*" is an abbreviation for "no OnLine add or delete".  What that means is once you boot an HPVM 4.3 guest you cannot add or remove CPU cores from the running guest.  Any change in the number of CPU cores will be postponed until the next time the guest is stopped/started. 

You can change the CPU entitlements of the guest (i.e. change the percentage of how much of the CPU cores the guest is guaranteed to get when needed based on workload) and you can completely disable CPU cores while the guest is running.  Any disabled CPU cores can be re-enabled while the guest runs.  Again, this is not the same as actually deleting the cores or adding cores to the running guest because even the disabled cores remain part of the VM guest's configuration.  Basically you're forcing the disabled cores to become idle (make the entitlement 0) and give up those entitlements to other running guests, but this is not the same as actually freeing up the cores to allow other VM guests to be configured using those cores.

On vPars v6 there is no such thing as entitlements because any CPU core assigned to a vPar is dedicated to that vPar (100% entitlement).  However, you can add more CPU cores to a running vPar or remove CPU cores from a running vPar. 

> When will vPar6.1 be released?

The plan is to release v6.1 some time in early-to-mid 2012, but I cannot comment on exact delivery schedules.

> Will the future version of vpar support much more HP-UX

> versions, such as 11iv2, 11iv3 Mar. 2010) and When?

I cannot comment on any roadmap items that are not publically available.  To date we have not announced any intention of allowing vPars v6 (and newer) to run an OS older than 11i v3 1109.

> And I suggest the default value of "start type" changes to manual.

I'll pass this request along.  However, since vPars v6 has shipped I very much doubt we'll be changing the default behavior at this time.

Regards,

Dave

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Jack007
Frequent Advisor

Dear Dave,

Appreciate for your kindly answer!!!

Jack007
Frequent Advisor

Q4 and Q5 haven't been resolved,please give me a help,

Dave Olker
HPE Pro

@Jack007 wrote:

Q4 and Q5 haven't been resolved,please give me a help,

Q4: Where is the configuration file of every vpar?

Continue waiting.

Under /var/opt/hpvm/guests are symbolic links to the actual directories holding the vPar-specific configuration files.

Q5:

Thanks!

You're welcome.

Dave

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Jack007
Frequent Advisor

Sorry Dave, I make mistakes,

Q3 and Q4 haven't been resolved before your answer. so, only one is Q3.

I repeat the Q3 again:

Q3: one vpar has some LUNs which state are NO_HW in the VSP OS. I cannot boot it up and even modify the vpar. what should I do?

The output is:

# vparmodify -p rxna2 -a disk:avio_stor::disk:/dev/rdisk/disk8 vPar/VM rxna2 configuration problems: Error 1 on item /dev/rdisk/disk5: '/dev/rdisk/disk5' backing device does not exist or is not currently available. vparmodify: Unable to modify the vPar.

#vparboot -p rxna2

vparboot: ERROR (host): libIO error on function call 'io_is_legacy_dev': System call error. on device /dev/rdisk/disk112.

vPar/VM rxna2 configuration problems:     Warning 1 on item /tmp/hpux31.1109.iso: '/tmp/hpux31.1109.iso' backing devic e does not exist or is not currently available.

These problems may prevent the vPar or VM rxna2 from starting.

vparboot: Unable to continue.

Because the Storage guy has delete the unused LUN, so the ioscan -fnNCdisk cannot show out the "disk112".

According to your answer, I find out two files under /var/opt/hpvm/guests/rxna2: dev_info and  vmm_config.current.

The dev_info content is :

root@bl890b[/var/opt/hpvm/guests/rxna2] # cat guest_devinfo

/dev/rdisk/disk3/dev/rdisk/disk2/dev/rdisk/disk5/dev/rdisk/disk7/dev/rdisk/disk9 /dev/rdisk/disk11/dev/rdisk/disk13/dev/rdisk/disk1/dev/rdisk/disk17     /dev/rdi

The vmm_config.current is in the attached file.

What should I do?  the vpar cannot boot up, be modified.

Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Let's take one problem at a time.

> # vparmodify -p rxna2 -a disk:avio_stor::disk:/dev/rdisk/disk8

> vPar/VM rxna2 configuration problems: Error 1 on

> item /dev/rdisk/disk5: '/dev/rdisk/disk5' backing device

> does not exist or is not currently available. vparmodify:

> Unable to modify the vPar.

You're attempting to add disk8 and the VSP is complaining about disk5 not being a valid disk.  Are you expecting disk5 to be unavailable?  If so, can you remove disk5 from the configuration via vparmodify -d?  I don't see any attempt on your part to remove disk5 from the vPar configuration.

Bottom line - which disks are required for vPar rxna2?  Are those disks currently available on the VSP?  If not, and they're assigned to the vPar, you're not going to be able to boot it.  At that point you either need to get the storage administrator to make the disks available or remove them from the vPar configuration.

Dave

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo
Jack007
Frequent Advisor

Dear Dave,

The fact is the customer suddenly unpresented some LUNs and haven't remove them from the vpar.

I have tried vparmodify -d and it failed.

I have restarted the VSP, so the LUNs unpresented disappeared.

This afternoon I removed the unused disks in the vmm_config.current file manually, and everything looks be fine. The vpar can boot up and run well.

It confuses me that in the vmm_config.current file it says:

# This file should not be modified by hand.