Operating System - HP-UX
1754418 Members
2731 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion

swinstall "Permission Denied" error when trying to install to separate target directory.

BrianOB

swinstall "Permission Denied" error when trying to install to separate target directory.

I am trying to install a .depot file with the following command:

/usr/sbin/swinstall -s /opt/apps/svn/dep_packages/expat-2.0.1-ia64-11.23.depot expat -t /opt/apps/svn/bin/

I do not have root access, but I am owner and have full access to the /opt/apps/svn/ subdirectory.
I get an error saying I do not have sufficient permissions to select the target "host:/". However, I believed the "-t" allowed me to specify which directory I can install the files to. So why am I still getting permission errors? I did read you can only use "-t" with HP OpenView Software Distribution, which I am not sure if we have. If I do not have this, is there a way to install this depot file to an alternative directory without root access?

Thanks
1 REPLY 1
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: swinstall "Permission Denied" error when trying to install to separate target directory.

-t is a file with a list of targets. You seem to indicate the target directly. But if you want to install in /opt/apps/svn/bin/, there are two ways to do it.
1) Alternate root: ... @ /opt/apps/svn/bin
2) Alternate location: ... product-name,l=opt/apps/svn/bin

Note: Both of these will put the files in:
/opt/apps/svn/bin/the-normal-location/foo

>I do not have root access, but I am owner and have full access to the /opt/apps/svn/ subdirectory.

That's right, you can't use swinstall unless you have been granted permission or you use:
-x run_as_superuser=false