# bdf
Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on
/dev/vg00/lvol3 2523136 2428904 94208 96% /
/dev/vg00/lvol1 125808 82896 30328 73% /stand
/dev/vg01/lvol1 4190208 2511273 1574150 61% /hpws3_dsk1
hpws1:/hpws1/ugnx020/ugdoc
4190208 2736056 1363320 67% /hpws3_dsk1/ugnx020/ugdoc
hpsr5:/users1 8704000 6808669 1777996 79% /tmp_mnt/hpsr5_u1

now i want to tranfer some free memory size of /hpws3_dsk1 to /.Can i do that and if yes how?

Thanx in advance

Mangesh Khatav
6 REPLIES 6
Sunil Sharma_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Transfer some frre memory

Mangesh,

I am sure you mean to say disk space transfer not memory.

You can not transfer free space from /hpws3_dsk1 to / because both are in different voulme group.

Sunil
*** Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today ***

Sorry i mean to say disk space. But can we transfer it if we are in same volume group.And how? As per my knowledge if i have free PE's i can do that if i dont have then what?
Cant we share PE's from different volume group?

Please clear my doubts

regards
Mangesh Khatav
Artyom Voronchihin
Respected Contributor

Hello!
If vg01 consist of multiple PVs, you can vgreduce(1M)a PV from vg01 and vgextend(1M) it into vg00. But don't forget to make backup of /hpws3_dsk1, because data on it probably will be corrupted. The safest way to reconfigure disk space is to make ignite tape and assign VGs parameters in interactive restore.
"Intel inside" is not a label, it's a warning.
Artyom Voronchihin
Respected Contributor

To cut a piece of disk space inside single VG you have to lvreduce(1M) one LV and assign cleared space to another LV using lvexend(1M).
man vgreduce(1m), vgextend(1m), lvreduce(1m), lvextend(1m), extendfs(1m) and fsadm(1m).
"Intel inside" is not a label, it's a warning.
Sunil Sharma_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Mangesh,

There are some basic rules of logical volume manager. First rule is that one disk can not be part of more then one Volume group because of this you can not share PEs across volume groups.

If bot logical volumes are in same volume group then you can reduce one volume and assign these PE's to anothe voulmes.
For this you have to reduce first file system by lvreduce and extend other one using lvextend.

this is not as simple as i said above.
when you reduce your volume you may loose your data in that volume. you have to have Online JFS product for this.

Sunil
*** Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today ***
Gerhard Roets
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mangesh

You do have a 2.5GB / filesystem. That is rather big.

In HPUX you can not resize / online. This has to be done with an "ignite tape" and ignite is the recommended method. You might want to look at finding space in the filesystem. There might be some clutter.

Is this your full bdf listing ?

HTH
Gerhard