108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Very new techie

SOLVED
Go to solution
synack
Occasional Advisor

Very new techie

I'm very new to the hp-ux environment, however I have much experience with other *nix OS's. My excellent boss gave me a little HP712/100 complete with HP-UX 11.11. I am not afraid to admit I am a bit lost as to where to begin. I have noticed HP-UX grinds to a halt when it does not detect a network. CDE won't start because it's complaining about the Desktop Messaging Service. Anyone care to point me in the right direction here?
6 REPLIES 6
curt larson_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Very new techie

well you could shut off everything thing that needs a network. Then only run things from run level 2 and below. That is going to take quite a bit of work to identify things and go into single user mode to make modifications and reboot again. even after that your going to yourself servely restricted in what your able to do.

you'll be alot better of getting a cheap hub to plug your network. I'm sure a 10mhz 4 port hub is pretty cheap and easy to get from ebay or whereever.
synack
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the quick reply. I do have it connected to a network and it boots up ok now. However I am still stuck with the desktop messaging service error when I launch CDE. I don't even know what the desktop messaging service is, so not real sure where to go to fix this.
Sundar_7
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

CDE is particularly sensitive about hostname resolution.

Add your hostname and IP address to /etc/hosts file. Are you using any DNS server? If yes, ensure you have them listed in /etc/resolv.conf also take care of /etc/nsswitch.conf.

Make sure you are able to ping using the hostname.

# ping

Now try launching CDE.

Sundar
Learn What to do ,How to do and more importantly When to do ?
R. Allan Hicks
Trusted Contributor

You might find it handy to explore netconf under /etc/rc.config.d.

This contains network information. You may find some entries labled "IP_ADDRESS" that may point to NICs that were removed (assuming you got someone's hand me down machine) HP-UX grinding to a halt may be that it's trying to initialize a card that isn't there anymore? I don't really know. Just a wild guess.

If you aren't going to use network, find the entries that say "INTERFACE_STATE" and set them to "down". That will keep the system from trying to initialize them. I know that some routers won't initialize the port if nothing is plugged into it. Could be something similar here.

-Good Luck
"Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible
synack
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the tip. Now that I've had more time to get my hooks into this machine, I've explored these files. Things are working nicely now, at least until I find a new way to break it :)
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Check our 'sam'. It will do most things for you via a GUI.
Mom 6