New Discussion юеВ

Zebra Printers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Wilfred Chau_1
Respected Contributor

Zebra Printers

Hi all,
Does anyone come across a situation where the print spooler stopped while the Zebra printer is printing labels. And the spooler resume printing, it prints but from the very beginning? It this related to the TCP/IP settings? or Should I disable TCP/IP Timeout Checking on the printer?

Any help would be great!!!
7 REPLIES 7
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Zebra Printers

This is normal spooler behavior. When a communications error or a printer error occurs, the spooler resends the entire job. I doubt that tweaking printer settings are going to help. You need to concentrate on making the network connections as robust as possible.

Another possible solution is to break the print jobs into smaller batches so that when a restart is required the problems are not as severe.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Wilfred Chau_1
Respected Contributor

Thanks A. Clay for the info. But what would happen if the printer is out of paper? I believe a LaserJet would resume from where it didn't have the paper to print. And not the entire job.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Wilfred,

The paper out scenario would depend entirely on whether the entire job has spooled into the ptr's buffer or not. If it hasn't & the time to replace the paper & put the ptr back on-line exceeds the TCP timeout value THEN it's going to resend the entire job. Believe the same would be true for the laserjet...BUT...remember that a laserjet will probably have a MUCH larger buffer than a label printer.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Wilfred Chau_1
Respected Contributor

Should I increase any of the TCP values(using ndd -set /dev/tcp) to better optimize the spooler's performance?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

It's a complicated answer. That's because there are so many ways to connect printers. Simply put, if the printer script detects an error and returns a non-zero value, the spooler disables the printer with a reason code equal to the error number. JetDirect printers (printers using external or internal JetDirect interfaces) can return 'soft' errors and hpnpf (the printer communication program) will restart the job. That's because there is no way to know where the job was interrupted. With downloaded fonts, graphics, bitmaps, etc, the error recovery process is very complex and very printer dependent.

As far as the entire spooler stopping, that is not normal in any way. But since the Zebra printer does not come with a printer script, I would look at exactly how this printer is connected and how it interfaces with the spooler. If the printer is connected by LAN, then someone has created a custom interface and you'll have to troubleshoot the process.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Again, tweaking TCP settings is going to make very little difference. The kinds of things that will make a difference are speed/duplex mismatches between your printer and its associated switch port. Believe it or not mismatched setting will continue to work albeit very poorly. I would make sure that those settings are hard-set on both the printer and the switch port - do not rely upon auto-negotiate. By all means look for lp patches and network printer software patches.
Do not read into a Laserjet's recovery something that a Zebra should do. The lp system simply sends the job to a printer and looks for a result code. If it ain't zero, lp tries again when the printer is again enabled.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
jackeelias
Occasional Visitor

However zebra diver is commonly used to print high contrast labels, they can likewise print variety names.  By the way, I aslo used this driver with my thermal label printer of Munbyn brand for printing purpose of my shopping plaza. Involving the varieties in your image will assist with recognizing items rapidly and effectively, which is useful for clients who need quick ID of stock things initially.