1754315 Members
2726 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Activating NIC on XW4200

grant lowe

Activating NIC on XW4200

I just finish installing Red Hat FC 2 on an XW4200, but the network interface isn't activated. Can somebody please tell me the steps or a pointer to where I can get the NIC configured so I can get networked? Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Activating NIC on XW4200

Verify that the network adapter module is loaded. Post the configuration of /etc/modprobe.conf (or /etc/modules.conf?)

Can you see the interface eth0 if you run ifconfig -a?

If so, then use system-config-network (or redhat-config-network?) to configure network settings.

Also, post the results of lspci -v.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
grant lowe

Hi Ivan.

To answer your questions:

Verify that the network adapter module is loaded. Post the configuration of /etc/modprobe.conf (or /etc/modules.conf?)

Here's that:

alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd

Can you see the interface eth0 if you run ifconfig -a?

Running ifconfig -a showw the loopback (lo0) and an interface called sit0 (whatever that is).

If so, then use system-config-network (or redhat-config-network?) to configure network settings.

It won't let me do that.

Also, post the results of lspci -v.

How much of that do you want to see? I have part of it below (at least the part that looks like you need; let me know if you need more).

80:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 1677 (rev 01)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3008
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 177
Memory at f0300000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Capabilities: [48] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [50] Vital Product Data
Capabilities: [58] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/3 Enable-
Capabilities: [d0] #10 [0001]
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You don't have the module (driver) for the network adapter.

You need to download the driver/module, and install it.

After that you will see the eth0 interface when you run ifconfig -a.

Try to find the driver for the network adapter in www.broadcom.com. You can also search in the hp site, the drivers for your XW4200. You may find one that is "generic" and can be installed on FC 2.

Also, you should install FC 4 instead of 2, to keep current with the linux versions and packages. The new kernel might support the Ethernet adapter.

To find out the exact model of your network adapter, you may need to open you CPU to see the chipset.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?