New Discussion юеВ

how to install ldconfig

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mohan_24
Honored Contributor

how to install ldconfig

HI,

I think ldconfig is not install on of our linux EL server.
(rpm -qa | egrep "ldconfig" doesnt result anything).
so now I need to install ldconfig on the linux box.

can someone please help give me detail step on how to download and install ldconfig on linux.
Please also help on how to install libstdc++-2.9 on this platform.

(uname -a results -
Linux tnvavg0pr01 2.4.21-20.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Aug 18 20:34:58 EDT 2004 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux)

Thanks in advance
Mohan
15 REPLIES 15
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: how to install ldconfig

I think that ldconfig is installed as part of the glibc package, you can do:

# rpm -qil glibc |grep ldconfig

All RPM packages are installed with rpm -ivh or rpm -Uvh. The rpm program will warn you about problems or conflicts that could occur when installing a package.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Gopi Sekar
Honored Contributor

Looks like you are using RHEL 3 x86_64 version (correct me if i am wrong)

ldconfig is by default installed with glibc, i really doubt your system is installed without glibc(which is the core)

the RPM's should be part of your distribution CD list.
Never Never Never Giveup
Mohan_24
Honored Contributor

hi guys,
thanks for quick replies.
I will check these things and will revert to you ASAP.
can you Please also temm me how to install libstdc++-2.9 on this platform and do I need to install anything before installing libstdc++-2.9??

thanks
mohan
Mohan_24
Honored Contributor

ivan,
rpm -qil glibc |grep ldconfig
/sbin/ldconfig
/sbin/ldconfig

so looks like I have ldconfig on my system.
thanks for help again.

Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You can use redhat-config-packages (GUI) to install packages and dependencias, so you need to find where the libstdc package is navigating trhough the sections, select it and the installed will guide you.

Doing it by hand is more complex. You should find the rpm on the distribution CD. Try to install with rpm -ivh and then you will get a list of packages that should be installed also. Install everything as indicated.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Gopi Sekar
Honored Contributor

you can use RH package management utility to install the package of your choice, it will take care of dependencies if any required.

otherwise installing RPM on your own is simple by 'rpm -ivh '
Never Never Never Giveup
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Lets just go over something here 'cause people seem to be getting a bit off track.

ldconfig is supplied by the package 'glibc'.

A RH3 system *WILL NOT FUNCTION* without this package installed, thus every RH3EL system will have 'ldconfig'.

To be a bit more broad, every RH system since v8 (and all Fedora distributions, hell all Linux distributions younger than 5 years old) will have the 'glibc' package, and thus 'ldconfig'.

The most likely thing that happened is that our user here didn't have the correct PATH setting (i.e. with '/sbin', did you 'su', but not 'su -' perhaps?) or was trying to run it as a non privileged user.

As only a privileged user should have access to update the library cache of which 'ldconfig' rebuilds, this is perfectly normal.
One long-haired git at your service...
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

*re-reads the thread*

*sigh*

Sorry, missed the 2nd question.

A RH3 system should have access to 'libstdc++-3.2' packages on the install media (or via 'up2date'). Is this insufficient?

'libstdc++' will need 'rpm-libs' and 'glibc' packages installed.
One long-haired git at your service...
Mohan_24
Honored Contributor

HI Guys,

Could you please aslo pont me to a site I can download libstdc++-2.9 etc for Linux ES 3 please (2.4.21-20.ELsmp)

mohan