SOLVED
Go to solution
eran maor
Honored Contributor

mount a cdrom

Hi

i install redhat 7 few month ago .
now i have problem with mounting the cd-rom
i dont know very much linux so i m asking how to mount the cdrom .
i know that in hp-ux is mount /dev/rmt/cXtXdX

how do you need to do it in linux ?
love computers
7 REPLIES 7
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Re: mount a cdrom

Hi there.
mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /directory

If you have an entry in /etc/fstab, this should be enough :

mount /dev/cdrom

Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom,also check iocon in desktop.
eran maor
Honored Contributor

Hi Alex

i did the command that you told me but when i m doing the command i m getting this error :
"the kernel doesnt Recognize /dev/dcrom as a block device . mybe insmod driver ?

and the os is 6.2 not 7.0
love computers
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor
Solution

Try mount -a.
Calvin Dodge
Advisor

Your reply mentions a "/dev/dcrom".

Is that what you used? It should be "/dev/cdrom".

What's the result of:

ls -l /dev/cdrom
Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

Unless you have done something wierd in your installation of RH 7.0, the cdrom should mount easily with:
# mount /dev/cdrom

shouldn't need any other arguements or additions. The line in /etc/fstab should contain the proper verbage for handling the filesystem type and other such.

If you added the cd after install (but then how did you install?) use redhat's kudzu to detect and configure the cdrom. (Actually, this should automatically happen at bootup, again, unless you set your system up strangely...)

Best of luck
Nick Fenwick

Just to stick my oar in... I found that I had huge problems _ejecting_ a cdrom from my freshly installed Redhat 7.0 system. I found the following two points are important to remember:
1/ always unmount your cdrom ('umount /dev/cdrom' as root?) before trying to eject it.
2/ always 'cd' out of any directory in a cdrom's mount path e.g. if you have an xterm whose current directory is /dev/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS, and minimise the xterm window and forget about it, you'll have a merry old dance trying to eject the cdrom from another xterm.

NB I'm pretty sure the 'cdrom' icon on the desktop is a clever little tool that will allow you to get around some of these issues, and jolly good that is too, but I always prefer working from anonymous little xterms and need to know the longwinded way of typing commands in :)
Say Hello to my Lil' Friend!