New Discussion юеВ

"-" is not displayed correctly

SOLVED
Go to solution
K.C. Chan
Trusted Contributor

"-" is not displayed correctly

All,
I've just configured RH8.0, is any one experiencing the same problem as I have, namely "-" is displayed as "ntsysv [????back] [????level ]". Does any one have any idea why? Thanks.
Reputation of a thousand years can be determined by the conduct of an hour
4 REPLIES 4
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Re: "-" is not displayed correctly

I'm picking you are talking about X Windows. What terminal program are you using? gnome-terminal? KDE's? uxterm?

In uxterm, they display perfectly fine. I don't have any problems with gnome-terminals either. I've not tried KDE's terminal program however.

In any case, I'm picking it's an issue with your fonts. Try using a different font set for your terminal window.
One long-haired git at your service...
K.C. Chan
Trusted Contributor

I am using xterm, this happening only in RH8, I have previous version of RH7.3 and all RH7.3 are displaying correctly when I used "ntsysv" command or man command. I don't think it's my xterm. Any idea? Thanks.
Reputation of a thousand years can be determined by the conduct of an hour
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Ah. Right. Gotcha. Sorry, never use 'ntsysv', so forget what it is.

Umm, No. Don't have a fix for it yet, have the same problem myself. Mind you, I don't get the problem when using 'uxterm', only other emulation software.

Odd..

If I find something I'll let you know.
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor
Solution

Actually, a quick search shows this:

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/4530/2/

Simply put, the LANG environment variable is telling the system that it's using a Unicode language. Some programs don't support Unicode nicely, thus show dodgey crap like you are describing.

Quick fix is to change the LANG environment for your application to the stock-standard setting of 'C', i.e.

env LANG=c ntsysv

Hope this helps.