Operating System - Linux
1754809 Members
3850 Online
108825 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

"Wait For RAM Disk Response" while capturing a Linux image

"Wait For RAM Disk Response" while capturing a Linux image

Hello,

I need some help with Insight Control for Linux.
I'm using the last version (6.2) of the software with updated MIBs and PSP on managed servers (RHEL 5.4 on Blade G6 with 2 mezzanine cards).
Everything is working fine, except when i'm trying to capture a Linux image.
The "Wait For RAM Disk Response" step fails.
I'm not using PXE boot method as i'm not using DHCP, I'm using Virtual Media method.
I configured the network stuffs.
Everything seems to be working fine : the captured server is restarting normally (using Virtual Media), but the "Wait For RAM Disk Response" still fails.

The is no enabled firewall. The MP association in the Network menu is correct. I download the last initrd image.

I have no idea what's the problem.
27 REPLIES 27
Rigoberto Corujo
Frequent Advisor

Re: "Wait For RAM Disk Response" while capturing a Linux image

Hello,

When you observe the console as the system is booting, you should see a message that says "Welcome to IC-Linux Virtual Media Deployment Tool" and then a messaging saying that the kernel and initrd.img are loading. After they load, you should see the kernel booting and will get to a point where, if you press "Enter", you should see the busybox shell prompt. Are you getting this far?

Rigoberto

Hello,

In fact, the server isn't restarting, I have a "runaway loop" issue while booting.

Here are the logs of the capturing tasks (BTW "x.x.x.112" is the CMS IP, "x.x.x.105" is the captured server IP, initrd.img has been replaced as mentionned in the documentation (initrd rhel5 x86_64)) :

- STEP 1 : Power Down Server
Checking to see if power is on.
Attempting to power down via management processor
Completed successfully
- STEP 2 : Configure System to Boot from Network
Configuring system to boot from Virtual Media.

Removing Virtual Media ISO
Executing: /bin/bash -c /bin/rm -f /opt/repository/iso/00000017a47710380000000300000073-*.iso
Completed successfully.
Booting to 32-bit ramdisk.

Boot Loader Config File:

PROMPT 1
DISPLAY boot.msg
TIMEOUT 100
DEFAULT default
LABEL default
kernel kernel
append initrd=initrd.img,0000000300000073.img root=/dev/ram0 rw mem=60G ramdisk_size=130000 boot_method=VirtualMedia SSHD=y SCRIPTNAME=toolkit teid=00000017a47710380000000300000073 IMAGESERVER=x.x.x.112 BOOTIF=00-17-a4-77-10-22 IPADDR=x.x.x.105 NETMASK=255.255.255.0 HOSTNAME=myhostname105 GATEWAY=x.x.x.5 NAMESERVERS= DOMAINS=
LABEL maintenance
kernel kernel
append initrd=initrd.img,0000000300000073.img root=/dev/ram0 teid=0 rw mem=60G ramdisk_size=130000 boot_method=VirtualMedia SSHD=y SCRIPTNAME=toolkit IMAGESERVER=x.x.x.112 BOOTIF=00-17-a4-77-10-22 IPADDR=x.x.x.105 NETMASK=255.255.255.0 HOSTNAME=myhostname105 GATEWAY=x.x.x.5 NAMESERVERS= DOMAINS=
LABEL local
localboot 0

Creating Virtual Media ISO.
Executing: /opt/hptc/bin/create_iso --iso=/opt/repository/iso/00000017a47710380000000300000073-RWlBve8l3HDCec67.iso --loader=/opt/repository/boot/virtualmedia/isolinux.bin --config=/opt/repository/boot/virtualmedia/00000017a47710380000000300000073 --kernel=/opt/repository/boot/IcleToolkitBoot/kernel --initrd=/opt/repository/boot/IcleToolkitBoot/initrd.img,/opt/repository/boot//IcleToolkitBoot//ramdisk/0000000300000073.img --bootmsg=/opt/repository/boot/virtualmedia/boot.msg
Created /opt/repository/iso/00000017a47710380000000300000073-RWlBve8l3HDCec67.iso
Completed successfully.
Booting to 32-bit ramdisk.
- STEP 3 : Set System to One Time Network Boot
Ejecting Virtual Media CD
Management Processor is iLO2
Inserting CD using https ...
Successfully inserted Virtual Media CD
Setting one time CD-ROM boot.
Completed successfully.
- STEP 4 : Power On Server
Checking to see if power is on.
Completed successfully
- STEP 5 : Wait for RAM Disk Response
Waiting for RAM disk to respond.
Server did not respond in allotted time.
An installation failure occurred. The following provide the most likely reasons for the failure:

* Did you select the correct boot MAC address in the Options -> IC-Linux -> Network Configuration Editor task?
* Did you specify the correct IP address in the Options -> IC-Linux -> Network Configuration Editor task?
* Did you specify the correct net mask in the Options -> IC-Linux -> Define Networks task?
* Is the Ethernet cable firmly connected to the correct NIC?
* If the CMS and target server are on different subnets, did you specify the correct gateway in the Options -> IC-Linux -> Define Networks task?
* If the CMS and target server are on different subnets, is the correct gateway is specified in the iLO? To verify, connect to the iLO with a browser and select Administration->Network.
* Is the port specified by REPOSITORY_HTTPS_PORT in /opt/mx/icle/icle.properties open in the CMS.s firewall? The default value for this port is 60002.
* Does the server require a special initrd file to support the NIC or disk device? See the Insight Control for Linux Support Matrix to verify.
* Is the server's iLO on a different network than the CMS's management NIC? Use the VIRTUAL_MEDIA_REPOSITORY_IP variable in /opt/mx/icle/icle.properties to specify an alternate IP address to reach the CMS.
Rigoberto Corujo
Frequent Advisor

Hi Laurent,

At this point, you would be booting to the IC-Linux RAM disk to do the capture, not the Red Hat RAM disk, so the Red Hat rhel5 x86_64 initrd is not the issue.

So you are saying that if you open up a Remote Console that you never see the IC-Linux RAM disk boot?

Can you please try resetting the iLO using the following steps?

1. Log on to the iLO.

ssh -l

2. At the iLO prompt, type:

reset map1

After you have reset the iLO wait about 30 seconds and try the capture again.

Rigoberto

Hello,

I did what you've told me (iLO reset), but it doesn't change anything : same problem.

While capturing and waiting for RAM disk response, I checked the integrated remote console of the iLO of the captured server, and I noticed I have a runnaway loop (See attached file).
Rigoberto Corujo
Frequent Advisor

Is the firmware on the server up-to-date?

Yes ! I alreaday checked that
Donna Firkser
Regular Advisor

Laurent,

We've notified L3 support of this issue and they have requested that you create a case with HP so that this issue can be tracked properly.

In the interim, L3 is reviewing the information and will work with us (the IC-Linux development team) to help resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Donna
Donna Firkser
Regular Advisor

Laurent,

What's the exact model number of your G6 Blade? If we have the exact same server, I'm going to see if we can reproduce this issue.

Thanks,
Donna

Hello,

ProLiant BL-460c G6
Part Number 507864-B21