New Discussion юеВ

redhat linux 7.3 - how to reconfigure kernel

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vimala L
Occasional Advisor

redhat linux 7.3 - how to reconfigure kernel

Hello there.

I need to increase shmmax limit in my system. My system has redhat linux 7.3 installed.

I'm referring to manuals and I find that I have to run "make config" or "make xconfig" under /usr/src/linux/.

The /usr/src/linux/ in my m/c is a link to /usr/src/redhat/. Under that there are some directories (BUILD, and some more) but not any files under those directories. So, obviously doing "make config" under /usr/src/linux/ is failing.

Is there any command in linux similar to HP-UX's "sam"?

Please help with inputs on how to configure kernel parameters and how to remake kernel.

Thank you,
Vimala.
02-Sep-2002
5 REPLIES 5
U.SivaKumar_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: redhat linux 7.3 - how to reconfigure kernel

Hi,
you need not compile the kernel for that.
As i have answered for your earlier post.
do this As root:
# echo `expr 1024 \* 1024 \* 1024` > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
It is recommended to increase the shmmax setting permanently for Oracle. So if you want to increase the maximum shared memory size permanently, add the following line to the /etc/sysctl.conf file:
kernel.shmmax=1073741824

regards,
U.SivaKumar

Innovations are made when conventions are broken
Dirk Wiedemann
Respected Contributor

Hello Vimala,

to increase shmmax see the posting from U.SivaKumar.
But if you still want to reconfigure and build a new kernel (on a modern linux in most cases this is not necessary): first you must install the source-pakages for your actually used kernel. You found it on your distribution cd's. You also need a C-compiler and all related stuff (developer pakages).
In make xconfig you than found a lot of kernel parameters, be careful when changing - and first make a copy of your actual kernel to boot from if the new kernel fails!

regards
Dirk
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I agree with all what was said before.

Just a warning : on Linux, recompiling the kernel actually means ... recompiling ! Not just relinking as in Hp-Ux.
Don't ever try doing this operation on a production system if you are not expert of it (and even if you are) because it is a risky operation.

Good luck.

Kodjo
Learn and explain...
Vimala L
Occasional Advisor

Thankyou Sivakumar. It worked. [I'm sorry. I posted this message before reading your earlier reply.]

Dirk,
I have the whole set of RedHat Linux 7.3 CDs. Is there anyway I can easily identify the right source packages that are required to be installed to rebuild the kernel? Each CD has hundereds of RPMs and I haven't yet come across a document that explains about each RPM.

I'm setting up a new system and in this process I wish to rebuild the kernel too. It is alright if I lose data by rebuilding the kernel.

Please advise about the source packages I'd need.

Thanks Kodjo, for your caution. I shall keep it in mind when I handle sensitive environment.

Thank you,
Vimala.
04-Sep-2002
Dirk Wiedemann
Respected Contributor

Hallo Vimala,
for information about creating a new kernel under redhat have a look at http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/ch-custom-kernel.html
But differing from this document I found the pakage kernel-source-2.4.18-3.i386.rpm not on CD #1 but #2.
I can't give you more detailed explanations, because I use SuSE and only have the redhat 7.3 CD's (but not installed).
Dirk