108894 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SCSI diskerror:host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0

WilliamSmith11
Super Advisor

SCSI diskerror:host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0

Hi everybody
I have a linux system 7.0 that is not booting
Is sending a error message at the startup process (while is trying to boot), SCSI diskerror:host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0.

All seam to be that there is a error in the hard disk drive at this location or something with the controller where is attach this drive.

My question is

If the disk drive is the problem , and there is a backup of the OS how I will restore to a new drive.

whitch command I must issue to this task.

Thank you

W.S
rperez
3 REPLIES 3
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

This depends of several factors. How you did the backup, the filesystem structure, the underlying architecture (LVM,RAID).

You could:

-With the old disk up
-Install a new disk
-Partition the new disk as the old disk
-Create the file systems on the new disk
-Mount the new disk in a temporary location
-Copy the contents of the file systems to the temporary location, you can do this with some backup command that handles backup by file systems.
-Install a boot loader on the new disk.

Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Vipulinux
Respected Contributor

Hi William

Have you tried testing the drive with the SCSI controllers built in utility or 3rd party utilities, if yes what was the outcome if no please test with one.

Cheers
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

I would do two things:

1) boot with a knoppix or ubuntu livecd and make a backup (using dd) of your filesystems as soon as possible.

2) once the backup was done, boot with a linux cd and do an OS update (at least, I know that redhat and suse can do this -- your milage may vary with others).