1754798 Members
3959 Online
108825 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Software for Scan hardware

Tonatiuh
Super Advisor

Software for Scan hardware

Someone who can recomend me a software for hardware scanning? I mean, to know exactly what memory slots/banks are installed and the size of each memory module installed, each PCI slot installed and what device is installed in each one, etc.)

This is for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 and for HP-UX 11-23.
2 REPLIES 2
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

You might try this:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/cfg2html/

You have to sign up to the yahoo group in order to download the file. I have used this in the past. You will basically get a small book on your system configuration, etc.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Don't look for external software until you have exhausted the possibilities of the standard tools of your OS.

Linux:

Start with running "dmidecode". (If it isn't installed, run "up2date --install dmidecode" first.)

If the lm_sensors package has support for your hardware, first run "sensors-detect". If it detects the i2c bus on your system board and readable EEPROM chips on the bus, use "decode-dimms.pl" to get detailed information about your memory modules.

"lspci -v" will list all the devices on your PCI bus(es), but it won't know which devices are integrated into your system board and which are on PCI cards.

For CPU information, see "cat /proc/cpuinfo".

On HP Proliant hardware with PSP installed, start "hpasmcli" and type "show server" for a quick overview.

HP-UX:

Learn well the "ioscan" command. The documentation for your hardware model will tell you the correspondence between hardware paths and PCI slots.

For more details, use the STM diagnostics. (mstm/xstm for interactive use, depending on whether you want X11 graphic display or not. If you want to use STM from your own scripts, cstm offers an easily-scriptable command-line-based UI).
Within STM, check the "Memory" device to see the slots/banks. The "System" pseudo-device will offer a listing for all FRUs of the server, down to the model & serial numbers of each part when possible.

STM is a part of the OnlineDiags bundle. It is included on HP-UX installation disk sets. It is technically optional, but you should definitely always install it.

MK
MK