108838 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tar file

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kyle D. Harris
Regular Advisor

Tar file

I just downloaded a tar file. (jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29.tar.gz) In order to put this into effect, I'm not sure what to do?...

I did "tar -zxf jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29.tar.gz"

That command made a jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29 directory with a bunch of sub directories..

Now what?
8 REPLIES 8
Kyle D. Harris
Regular Advisor

I was able to FTP just fine and i noticed after i did that tar command above, now i'm unable to ftp out somewhere... Can somebody please help!?
Kyle D. Harris
Regular Advisor

Disregard the FTP problem. It works fine now. Must of been a network thing. I'm still lost on the tar.gz file above. Weather it's in effect and functioning with what i did or if there are more steps i must take? Thanks.
Olivier Drouin
Trusted Contributor

I normally work with GNU tar (gtar).

gtar -xzvf file.tgz
or
gtar -xzf file.tgz (less debug)

should work just fine. Maybe the file as such is broken ?
Olivier Drouin
Trusted Contributor

on linux 'tar' should be a symlink to 'gtar' anyway.

Kyle D. Harris
Regular Advisor

Hey, I'm not saying it's broke. I just don't know how to tell if it's in affect ...
Ratzie
Super Advisor
Solution

You did not install the app yet, you just uncompressed and untarred the file.

There should be a readme file under the main directory of jakarta-tomcat, this will tell you how to install the file.
Probably a install.sh script.
Kyle D. Harris
Regular Advisor

LHradowy - Thanks. I see the README file now.

It talks about Nightly Builds of Tomcat 4.1 and Release Builds of Tomcat 4.1 ... What is the difference and which would i want? Never heard of either of them. Also Binary or Source? Appreciate your help.
Olivier Drouin
Trusted Contributor

oh ok, I see ...

normally you can d/l the binary tomcat (it is java anyway so it doesnt matter much if you compile yourself) and you should d/l the release build of tomcat if you plan to use it seriously. ( get the latest sun JVM too ).

The file README.txt wont tell you much how to use it. read RUNNING.txt at the same place.

More resources can be found @ jakarta.apache.org.

Good luck, it is not the simplest piece of software out there. For example: a simple jvm upgrade can easily break a lot of things.

Oli