4539 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Drag & drop files from Remote Desktop Connetcion

Alpha977
Valued Contributor

Drag & drop files from Remote Desktop Connetcion

Hello to all!

I need to know how i can configure the pc's to drag a file from a remote desktop session to my desktop.

My pc is Windows XP and the remote computer is Windows Server 2003.

I see the same in another pc.

The same is possible using tsweb?

Thanks to all.

Points to all reply!
7 REPLIES 7
Richard.Brown
Regular Advisor

If you open RDC options, then under local resources tick the 'Disk Drives' box then you will be able to drag and drop files on to/from your local machine to the remote machine.
Alpha977
Valued Contributor

Thank you Richard,

but i know it... i need to know how i can configure it for copy "desktop by desktop", dragging the file or "copy&paste" directly from remote desktop to my local desktop.

I see it in another situation, but i don't remember how configure it.

Regards
Richard.Brown
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Just quickly, do you have group policy enabled on your domain? Because "Do not allow clipboard redirection" is a GP setting.

But otherwise, enable these services on both the client and the target machine and you should be good to go!

1. Network DDE DSDM
2. Network DDE
3. ClipBook

Regards
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

Another alternative is to ignore Remote Desktop and use the default share:

You'll need the user name and password for an administrator account on the server.

This assumes the data you want to copy to the PC is on the C:\ drive of the server. Substitute the drive name for C if it's different.

On the XP PC:

-Click Start.

-Click Run.

-Type \\\C$ (substitue the actual name of the server for ). For example, if your server is named 2k3server, then you'd type \\2k3server\C$.

-If you're logged on to the XP PC with a non-administrator user name and password, you'll be presented with a log-in box. Enter an administrator user name and password for the server.

-A My Computer window will open up.

-Right click the icon in the title bar at the top left, and left click Explore.

-A Windows Explorer window will open up where you'll be able to see both the folders on the local PC and the folders on the C:\ drive of the server.

-Copy away.

Pat
Alpha977
Valued Contributor

Hello to all and thanks for reply.

I have asked to an MCSE and he told me is impossible to do, the only way is something like your reply.

Thanks to all!
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Looking at my Remote Desktop Connection dialog box, there is a "Local Resources" tab. On the tab is a section titled "Local devices and resources". One option is to use my local clipboard.

I can drag files between my PC and the remote desktop session....

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Richard.Brown
Regular Advisor

It is certainly not impossible, as I can do it right now, and you have done before!
As above, there is an option (on Vista not by the looks of it XP) to share clipboard (and therefore drag/drop/copy/paste).