Operating System - Microsoft
1752271 Members
4735 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Pavillion and Windows 2000

Chris Malone

HP Pavillion and Windows 2000

I bought Windows 2000 without realizing that it really wasn't going to do much for me. I started having problems with my Windows98 and thought I'd upgrade to Windows 2000. I backed up all my programs before doing this. I did a recovery using the disks that came with the computer. I reinstalled only the original programs. I then proceeded to install Windows 2000 on top of the Windows98. I started to have some problems, so I put the recovery disks back in and was going to fdisk the drive and just go back to a clean copy of windows98. I got an error about the Windows2000 and wanting to reinstall the recovery disk. It asked me to do a manual feisk which I proceeded to do. I set a primary partition of 2 mg (i believe) and then proceeded to install the recovery disks. Now, I am having problems with the printer a 932C. When Windows98 was looking for the driver, I just ignored and it did not install. Then I put in the CD that came with the printer and proceeded to install on LPT1:. When I went to do a test page, I got the Fatal exception error 0e has occurred at 0028:c154E246 in VXD HPZION00(01) + 00009876. I'm not sure where I went wrong. Was it the formatting of the hard disk? the installation of the files for the printer? Because I did try to go to setting printers add printer, but then was told that I couldn't do that but that Ihad to use the setup from the cd rom. I deleted the printer and then tried the setup, but when I went to do the test page I get the error. I can see it showing on the printer queue but it won't print. I also had problems with Compuserve, and was getting logged off quite a few times which is one reason I decided to reinstall Windows. I called Compuserve and was told that this was a Windows or HP error. Anyway they id say that the system resources has to be at 85% free to be problem free. I just installed the windows98 and checked the resources. it was at 65%! and I hadn't even added any of my backed up programs yet! What can or do I need to delete from the systray to prevent all my resources being taken up? I also have the antivirus that came with the recover disks and saw that this might be another problem. I have since subscribed to Macafee.com and got the antivirus update.
Please help, I;m no expert, but I can understand a little since I;ve had so many problems in the past-I've actually learned a little.
Thanks
To err is human, so don't mess with the computer if it's not broken!
2 REPLIES 2
Michael Harmer
Occasional Advisor

I am currently using a 969?c with 2000 Pro. It worked ok. I had problems with the Modem/Sound card. The problems were fixed in driver updates, but not before I replaced the Modem and Sound card. I have since replaced the motherboard as I also wanter environmental monitoring and I could not do that with the stock one. However, I did have 2000 running on it BEFORE I did all the parts replacements. I also was using a 832C printer. It worked fine on both USB and parallel.

You may want to go get updated drivers for your printer.
Enlitence
Occasional Advisor

Hi Chris, I hope this message is of help to you.

I have been going through similar problems, and after reinstalling my printer office jet 630, a zillion times from the cd, it occurred to me to look for an update on the site for a driver for windows 2000. Wow, it worked on the second attempt. I also noticed a whole new format, I am very please with my struggle :)

Also this site will be of help to you on some of the incompatibilities of Windows2000 with HP computers:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/personal_computing/support_doc/bph05537.html#P73_4670
The board is possessed!