Operating System - Microsoft
1752750 Members
5048 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Install Vista on another partition and dual boot for HP notebook

armank

Install Vista on another partition and dual boot for HP notebook

I have a HP Pavilion DV6000 XP media center edition note book that is Vista Capable. I received the upgrade Vista DVD and the HP CD.

I want to install vista on another partition (not C:) so I can boot up any time that I want to use Vista while not losing my current XP. I have an image from my C:/ partition that I can restore after the whole installation but is it possible? or that HP CD will not allow me to do that. I know I have an option in Vista upgrade to install the whole new OS on any dive that I choose but I am not sure about the CD that HP sent to me.

Any suggestion is really appreciated.
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Hi:

This article should give you a starting point:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529/en-us

Read it to the end to find what you want.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
armank

Thanks.
Let me explain my question. I do not want to install XP on a Vista, but I want to install or upgrade an XP system by installing Vista in another partition.

Please note that, I did it before with a trial version of Vista and there was no problem. I had both OS running on my system. My question is can I do it again with the HP CD and changing BIOS and ...? Is this HP CD going to format my whole drive and then install Vista on C: without giving me any option to have dual boot and choosing the location that I want to install Vista? I want to keep the XP and use it most of the time.

Thanks
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

You need to have the laptop disk set up so that there is an empty partition to place Vista into.

Boot with the Vista DVD, and select the partition to install to.

The upgrade version of Vista REALLY wants to install to an OS partition. I've heard (but not tested) that if you install Vista (but don't activate or supply a key, then "upgrade" over Vista and supply your key, that Vista will take it as an upgrade to an existing OS.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
armank

I already have a free partition for Vista.

Do you mean that I should at first use the Vista DVD, choose the empty partition, install Vista AND THEN use HP Ugrade Utility DVD?

Thanks