1748053 Members
4580 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Microsoft CRM

Chris Bedford
Regular Advisor

Microsoft CRM

Is anyone else frustrated by Microsoft's mountains of information?

Not just for their CRM product, but *everything* - they don't use one word when 14 will do, and *never*, *ever* produce a simple, step-by-step guide to anything. I think the Marketing guys have gotten a "bit" carried away, because instead of helping they are making introduction and implementation of new products that much harder...

Anyway, semi-relevant rant aside, I have a client who feels it's time to start using a computer-based CRM solution. Now I understand there is no such thing as a simple implementation of something as complex and powerful as CRM, but after searching the MS website for some kind of guide to getting started I am more confused than if I had just started installing (I have a copy of Small Business edition CRM server & client as part of my MS Action Pack subscription).

After finding what looked like some promising documentation - helpfully titled "Implementation Guide" (only after multiple link-clicking) - I unzipped to find I now have 33 (yes, THIRTY THREE!) documents in 5 folders, a total of 1.9 MB of info. I still don't know where to begin!

I also found another 4 documents, totalling 16.6 MB. Two of them are training manuals, one is "using MS CRM", and one is a technical installation guide to circumvent a "known issue". I *still* don't know where to begin...

So can anyone tell me if there is a document somewhere "out there" that gives some form of outline on installing and implementing CRM 3.0? Even if it's just a checklist or skeleton of a guide, at least I can know I'm starting at the beginning without wasting too much time getting stuck in and then finding I have to undo everything I've done and start over...