Operating System - Microsoft
1751712 Members
5772 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Microsoft NPS and 1920s (edge switch)

rodriguesrui
Occasional Advisor

Microsoft NPS and 1920s (edge switch)

Hello,

I'm trying to do a MAC autentication on a Radius Server with MS NPS, and i always get authentication failed, or i receive an information on the PC to authenticate.

Sometimes we have equipments on the network that aren't registed on AD and you still want to control it. CORE switch is an 2930f, and edge swith are 6 1920s. NPS is working in wifi-enterprise, but I cannot make mac-authentication to work on machines that aren't registed on AD.

Created an Network Policy - Wired Policy with (Windows Server 2019), with condition:

WIndows Groups (with a AD Group) & NAS Identifier (Name of The switch)

with Constraints:

Authentication Methods: PAP, SPAP

and with Settings:

Standart: Tunnel-Medium-Type (802); Tunnel-PVT-Group-ID (Vlan where I wan to put the machine 221); and Tunnel-Type (Virtual LANs)

All other settings by default.

On the 1920s, After configuring radius, on "Port Access Control" I enabled Admin Mode and Vlan Assigment Mode"

The port is in Authenticator mode, and I tryed the "Control Mode" on Auto and on MAC Based, but i only receive "Authentication Failed"

4 REPLIES 4
pragav
Valued Contributor

Hi rodriguesrui,

Have you already tried to switch the encryption mode to auto? 

Regards,

rodriguesrui
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

the options that port control in the switch allows are:

Auto, Force Authorised, Force Non-Authorised, Mac Based.

If I leave in "Auto" Option, I can enable "MAC Authentication Mode" or not, and if I pick that option, I can choose between: EAP-Md5 or PAP.

I already tried all options.

pragav
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Apologies for the delayed response.

Could you please share the failure event ID recorded in the event viewer of the NPS server to udnerstand the reason

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/advanced-troubleshooting-802-authentication

Regards,

pragav
Valued Contributor

Hi @rodriguesrui ,

Following up to see if you have any update for us 

Regards,