1752579 Members
3015 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: screen freezing & errors, etc.

Linda G. Rosario
Occasional Contributor

screen freezing & errors, etc.

I have a HP Pavilion CD-Writer Plus system and have been having alot of problems with it. First of all its been freezing up on me (the screen) and now even the curser frezes. Also, I get messages like: This program has performed an illegal operation & will be shut down; Running oon low resourcs; Can't find this page and others.... I'm going crazy with all this and the system belongs to my boyfriend so I could help him with his business and he has no idea about all this, because he would pick up the whole system and take it back to Office Depot.... So, please help..... I personnally enjoy computers, but can't deal much longer with all this....When it freezes the only way I can shut down is pull plug or hit the red switch on the back....
3 REPLIES 3
Eric de Lange_2
Respected Contributor

Hi Linda,
Have you installed a new program lately or added something to the system ?

I have seen strange things like this happen when I copied a disk to my c: drive until it was full.

Regards,
Cal.
Dave Egli
Advisor

hello Linda,
Sometimes if there is an incorrect jumper setting on the cdrw drive the computer will tend to freeze up. You probably want to verify that the jumper on the back of the drive is set to slave mode. If this doesn't work you might just have software problems. Hope i could help.
everything can be fixed
Terren

Linda,

Based on the errors you say you are getting it sounds like you may be running out of memory. (RAM) How much RAM is in it? When the computer says it is running low on resources it means it is low on memory. If you have several icons in the tool bar, they all eat up resources. Try removing them. I like to keep my toolbar as clean as possible.

As for the illegal operation error...write down the name of the file which is giving you the error. You will find it located in the menu bar of the error message. Write down the filename and the exact error message. Go to Microsoft.com and click on their support button then on knowledge base. Type in the exact error along with any "location" numbers. See if this gives you any thing to try. If you can't find it, copy the exact message to my email and I will try to help. My email is tbichard@peoplepc.com. I am a technician and also teach Cisco's CCNA curriculum at our area Career Center. Doesn't mean much but I will try to help.