Re: X Server on Win2008

dev-s
Advisor

X Server on Win2008

Hi,
Pls see the next description and my question next to it:

My Proxy:
---------
I have a proxy machine - win2008R2, this machine should have terminal services, some X-server, some SSH client and my software to monitor each traffic (mainly display one)

The flow:
---------
1. End user connect from remote via RDP to my proxy
2. The proxy starts instance of the X-server with specific display for the new session.
3. The user invokes the SSH client (currently via putty it tells the SSH client that its display is the one that was just related by the X server instance
4. After the end user logons to the unix remote machine the user run some X application (xclock) for example
5. the user gets the display on his screen (remember that he is connected through RDP)

* windows user name is always the same one

My questions:
1. what is the best X server that I should use? and why? if you have some comparing details it will be great
2. I want to prevent a scenario when some user connect and then set its display to display screen of another session (in this way I want be able to monitor the specific session)
3. is there a way to make sure that my X server will accept only ssh client requests that on its own session (to avoid the problem I mentioned in #2)

tx,s
3 REPLIES 3
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

For win2000 and previous, I use cygwin/x for my server. For WinXP and above, I use XMing.
dev-s
Advisor

why? any pros for using the xming on the newer OS?

s
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

I prefer xming because it is much easier to install; however, it is not compatible with win2k or older.