1748219 Members
4406 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Apache (SWS) and number of <VirtualHost>s in config

Brian  Schenkenberger
Frequent Advisor

Apache (SWS) and number of <VirtualHost>s in config

Yesterday, I acquired another domain to serve. I added it to the Apache configuration file like all of the other virtual domains. When I went to restart Apache, it would not. There is nothing in any log file, no OPCOM messages and I'd even enabled image accounting for clues. Nothing.

I increased quotas of APACHE$WWW and increase channelcnt and global resources and rebooted.

Is there a hard limit on in SWS???

Before you ask, I removed an older Virtual domain and restarted Apache with the new. There's nothing wrong with the definition of the new Virtual domain. It served up fine when I removed another domain. It does appear to be something limiting the number of s in the configuration of SWS but where to look or change things is the issue.

So far, no response to the same query on comp.os.vms.
9 REPLIES 9
Rick Retterer
Respected Contributor

Re: Apache (SWS) and number of <VirtualHost>s in config

Brian,
What happens if you use an INCLUDE statement to include your virtual host into it's own file?

Example:

At the very bottom of your httpd.conf file:
#
#New Virtual Host Container include...
#
Include /apache$root/conf/virtual_host.conf
#
#
Include /apache$root/conf/ssl.conf
Include /apache$root/conf/mod_perl.conf
Include /apache$root/conf/mod_php.conf
Include /SYS$COMMON/APACHE/JAKARTA/TOMCAT/CONF/JK2/MOD_JK2_APACHE2.CONF

Then in apache$root:[conf]virtual_host.conf you set up your virtual host container...

ScriptLog logs/cgidebugging

ServerName visual.myhomeip.net:80
ErrorLog logs/visual_vhost_errorlog
CustomLog logs/visual_vhost_acclog common
ServerAdmin admin@myemail.com

DocumentRoot "/apache$root/htdocs"

HostnameLookups off

HostnameLookups on

Does that help any?

I'm not aware of a size limitation on the httpd.conf, but there very well could be and it sure seems like you are running up against it...

Try this and see if it helps.

Rick
- Rick Retterer

Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

There are hosting providers who run hundreds, if not thousands, of domains using virtual hosts. As far as I can find, there is not supposed to be any limit other than "system resources." I run two or three on my VMS web server, but not 8 (as you indicated on c.o.v you're doing).

You might try changing the

LogLevel warn

line in your configuration to

LogLevel debug

No promises that will do anything in your case, but it would be a first step (which you may have already taken).

The sources are available, and suitable levels of self-hatred could inspire one to build a debug version, or simply reading the source code might turn up some clues about what sort of resources are being allocated.

There is rather a lot of VMS-specific code in the HP-supplied Apache kit. There is code that handles global sections and mailboxes. There is privileged code that increases socket buffer size above the puny 256-byte default (someone please fix that in a way that doesn't require privileges). You could be bumping up against limits involving any of these devices.

Brian  Schenkenberger
Frequent Advisor

To Rick:

Nice idea but I already have that. That's how I was able to quickly mix and match various vitrual hosts for testing. It's not a matter of the content of the .conf file but a factor of how many virtual hosts.

To Craig:

LogLevel, in the .conf or from the command line, do nothing. Apache$SWS seems to abort before really doing much at all.
Rick Retterer
Respected Contributor

Hey Brian,

In your Apache$www UAF record...

Try increasing BYTLM. That should help.

Let me know.

Rick
- Rick Retterer

Brian  Schenkenberger
Frequent Advisor

OK. I've doubled BYTLM and that seems to have fixed it.

NOW the question that begs asking is, what is consuming this and WHY not report the EXQUOTA when it does? Just more poor coding from the unix/linux weenies. Why do they ignore errors?
Rick Retterer
Respected Contributor

Brian,

That is the million dollar question.

I wish I had an answer for you.

Glad that I was able help you.

Cheers,
Rick

- Rick Retterer

Brian  Schenkenberger
Frequent Advisor

Well, well, well, here we go again. I should know better than to expect ANYTHING coming out of OpenVMS engineering these days to work.

I've just installed the Apache UPDATE 2.2 (CPQ-AXPVMS-CSWS-V0202--1.PCSI$COMPRESSED;1) and now, once again, I cannot start Apache.

The old fix:

$ DEFINE/SYSTEM/EXEC APACHE$SPL_DISABLED TRUE

no longer cuts it and doubling BYTLM doesn't either!

Where do I go from here? I can't be the ONLY VMS site running Apache with multiple virtual domains!
Hoff
Honored Contributor

You've probably already seen these details, but here are some of the bugs that have been introduced in Apache / SWS / CSWS 2.2 kit:

>>>> extract from the 2.2 release notes >>>>

Known Problems and Restrictions in Version 2.2

. Do not use SWS Version 2.2 with the older SWS optional kits

Do not use SWS Version 2.2 with the following optional kits. Using these kits together causes a process crash. These kits, in addition to the newer optional kits, are currently available for download from http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/ips/apache/csws.html

. PERL for OpenVMS 5.6.1 and 5.6.1-1A1
. CSWS_PERL V2.0, 1.1, and 1.1-1
. CSWS_PHP V1.2-1 and 1.1
. CSWS_JAVA V2.1

SWS Version 2.2 works properly with the following new optional kits:

. PERL for OpenVMS 5.8.6
. CSWS_PERL V2.1
. CSWS_PHP V1.3 and higher
. CSWS_JAVA V3.0 and higher

. Installing SWS Version 2.2 on an ODS-2 volume corrupts the previous SWS Version 1.3 installation

You must install the SWS Version 2.2 kit only on an ODS-5 target volume. If you install this kit on an ODS-2 volume, the installation will fail with the following error:

Destination disk is not ODS-5, aborting installation ...
%PCSI-I-PRCOUTPUT, output from subprocess follows ...
%SYSTEM-F-ABORT, abort

If your existing installation is SWS Version 1.3, then the failed operation will leave it in a corrupt state.

<<<< end release notes extract <<<<

There are some other bugs lurking, too, such as problems with the Apache benchmarking tool (known as ab on other platforms) on OpenVMS I64, for instance.
Brian  Schenkenberger
Frequent Advisor

TGIB (Thank Goodness I Backup)