3785 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cant stop the RTR?

Accullise
Frequent Advisor

Cant stop the RTR?

hello friends,

when we try to stop the RTR we got the following error message...

%RTR-E-ENOIPNAM, IP definition required, but no host definition found for

where will i define that ip? can anyone explain that...
7 REPLIES 7
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The following text is extracted from the RTR manual available at the HP RTR documentation site:

-- RTR Management Manual --

%RTR-E-ENOIPNAM, IP de├п┬м nition required, but no host definition found for [A]

Explanation: A host name was specified in a context that required a successful lookup for the IP address, but none was available. This can occur when TCP is explicitly specified through use of a node name prefix ("tcp."), or when IP networking is the only enabled network transport.

Check the host name database on the local node, and the network name server (DNS).

-- end RTR manual --

Researching the available documentation -- such as that of RTR -- can also help:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/rtr.html

Further, here's some quick and general reading that can help you investigate and research and form your questions -- and thus get the answers you need more quickly -- and how you can help us answer your questions more effectively:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Asking good questions can be far tougher than it might initially look; it's a real skill. Spending a little time forming the question can provide you with direct benefits in various dimensions (including your own career, too!), in addition to helping you get faster answers.

If you can't sort this RTR issue out from what is posted in the RTR manuals, then posting the RTR commands and DNS and related materials might be useful.

And as a last resort sequence, there's always the product restart, followed by the server reboot.

--

There appears to be a duplicate post here: http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1236755
Accullise
Frequent Advisor

Thanks hoff...
On this following error message what is [A]?
we didnt get that [A] in error when we cant stop RTR? and also I checked the host names database used in TCPIP, all are same when i compared to other node. This node has been working fine for the past 2 years and we didnt get this before. can you please tell me where i want to check? and post the disire commands.

error:
%RTR-E-ENOIPNAM, IP de├Г┬п├В┬м├В nition required, but no host definition found for [A]
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Please describe versions. RTR, VMS, IP, etc.

Please describe exactly what you did, including your particular command(s) input, and responses. Do narrow the error down to the particular command, too.

Please describe what error messages were received, beyond this ENOIPNAM error, if any.

If you're not in a position to do some digging into RTR and the network here (and I can infer from the one- or two-line replies here that you might not be in that position), then do escalate this to your software support organization, to HP support, or along to HP RTR engineering.

{{{On this following error message what is [A]? we didnt get that [A] in error when we cant stop RTR?}}}

That text is quoted exactly out of the cited RTR manual. I have assumed that [A] refers to a field in the error message; that there's been some editing of commands and messages here. (I'd have to assume that the manual also describes how to configure RTR with the various IP addresses it should use, too.)

{{{and also I checked the host names database used in TCPIP, all are same when i compared to other node. }}}

Ok. Did you check DNS? (Few sites are using static hosts any more, and DNS can go wonky.) Have you checked IP connectivity? IP routers or gateways or firewalls? RTR itself?

Has anything changed on the node or the network in recent times?

Any system crashes or hardware failures?

In parallel, do check the ECO level for whichever IP stack is installed, for OpenVMS, and for RTR.

{{{This node has been working fine for the past 2 years and we didnt get this before.}}}

Nice to know, but -- when dealing with errors that are reporting network connectivity or DNS issues -- also not usually particularly relevant.

{{{can you please tell me where i want to check? and post the disire commands.}}}

Verify DNS. Usually with the "dig" command, and various IP stacks including OpenVMS can have that command available.

Alternatively, pass this issue up to your system administration or networking team, or call in somebody experienced in troubleshooting IP and DNS issues, and/or RTR networking issues. Or call HP.

The brute-force approach is to shut down the software, or to reboot the node.
Harry M
Occasional Contributor

Hi,
This is the exact message what we got and we don't use the DNS Network in our environment...

Error : %RTR-E-ENOIPNAM, IP definition required, but no host definition found for RTRgt.

when any RTR command is tried same RTR error message is flahed...

regards
Saravanan.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Ok, RTRgt appears to be the host involved here.

I am not in a position to invest further in this thread. I'll let somebody else step in.
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Saravanan,

>when any RTR command is tried same RTR
>error message is flahed

Has RTR ever been working on this node?

Are all FE, BE and router nodes defined in either DNS or a local host file?

Check all your ADD FACILITY or EXTEND FACILITY commands and ensure that all nodes mentioned have valid definitions.

If you can't stop RTR by normal means, kill the processes RTR_, RTRD and RTRACP, then check SYS$STARTUP:RTR$SYSTARTUP.COM to ensure your facilities are defined correctly.

A crucible of informative mistakes
Accullise
Frequent Advisor

Thanks,

RTR is running good in that node for the past 2 years...

Then we kill all the RTR processes on that time what u mentioned. After that we cant start the RTR through RTR$STARTUP.com. No RTR processes are running after run the RTR$STARTUP.com.

Then In where i want to check the ADD FACILITY and EXTEND FACILITY commands... can you please tell me...