1748194 Members
3883 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DEGXA-TB, VMS v8.2, Bugcheck, etc.

Guy W. Noce
Occasional Advisor

DEGXA-TB, VMS v8.2, Bugcheck, etc.

Hi and thanks in advance for any replies.

Recently tried to install DEGXA-TB in ES40, firmware v7.2-2 and a 4100, running woefully unpatched VMS v8.2. I figured to use the Gb cards for a private Netbackup network.

On the ES40, there are two DE602-AA cards in slots 4 and 5 on the same bus, and a KGPSA-CA in slot 2 on that bus, and one in slot 4 on the other. I removed one of the DE602s and replaced it with the DEGXA. Not entirely sure which slot I pulled, but following this the machine could not see either KGPSA from SRM, and so therefore could not boot.

Then I put the same DEGXA in a slot adjacent to the DE602 in a 4100, which booted, but almost immediately bugchecked and reboot to another bugcheck.

After removing the DEGXA from either machine, the symptoms went away.

On the ES40, am I experiencing a strange architectural effect? Would reslotting the DEGXA in a slot not occupied by a KGPSA on the other bus have anything to do with it? Or soemthing else, like firmware?

On the 4100, I think it's probably a VMS upgrade issue, which I'll try first.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated--Guy
3 REPLIES 3
Hoff
Honored Contributor

I'm going to make a leap that this unspecified bugcheck arises from an unsupported hardware configuration....

FWIW, the DEGXA is not on the supported options list for the Rawhide-class (the AlphaServer 4100 and friends) servers.

http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/options/as4100/as4100_19_options_sorted.html

There are various considerations on the older boxes around I/O space and processor; a number of widgets have device drivers that are restricted to boxes that have one or both of EV6 and flat (and not swizzle) I/O address space.

Now a generic bugcheck is rather unpleasant; one might hope the driver would be a bit smarter about not wanting to play here. But...

Here's the single-port Broadcom 5703 copper Gigabit DEGXA-TA, DEGXA-TB NIC install guide, with details around firmware and configuration and other such:

http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/download/ek-degxa-in-b01.pdf
Guy W. Noce
Occasional Advisor

Sorry for leaving this thread open. I installed the DEGXA in an Alpha 4100 after upgrading firmware and various drivers, installing TCPIP v5.5ECO2, and VMS recognized the card, but would not configure in TCPIP. I'm going to give up on this matter as it appears that as far as I've gotten with it, not supported in this case means not working. Thanks for the reply, I'll look for the supported nic and move on.--Guy
Guy W. Noce
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, cheers, 10's--Guy