108863 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error during use of TCPIP$SNMP_TRAPSND.EXE

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hans Adriaanse
Advisor

Error during use of TCPIP$SNMP_TRAPSND.EXE

Sometimes (and it is not clear under what circumstances) a call in a command file to TCPIP$SNMP_TRAPSND.EXE results in:
%TCPIP-E-TCPIPDISPLAY, error displaying information
-TCPIP-F-BUGCHK, TCPIP internal error
-RMS-F-DEV, error in device name or inappropriate device type for operation

I once saw it as result of a command file that was started from SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM.

Has anyone a clue about this.
13 REPLIES 13
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

The program is trying to display some information (probably something that normally goes to a terminal) and has encountered an error. In the command file started from SYSTARTUP_VMS where where the output and errors directed to? (SYS$OUTPUT, SYS$ERROR)

It may be better to redirect the output to a file for that command. Does this program support this?

Hans,

welcome to the OpenVMS ITRC forum.

The %TCPIP-E-TCPIPDISPLAY message seems to indicate, that the TCPIP$SNMP_TRAPSND.EXE wanted to output some kind of message it's output device (SYS$OUTPUT ?) and failed.

I've found one reference to the TCPIPDISPLAY error message in some old TCPIP ECO kit (was a results from a command like: PIPE UCX SHOW CONF SMTP | SEARCH SYS$INPUT A).

What version of TCPIP are you using ($ TCPIP SHOW VERS) ?

Consider to check in which environment TCPIP$SNMP_TRAPSND.EXE gets executed, when you see this error. Where would you expect any output from this utility to be displayed ?

Volker.
Hans Adriaanse
Advisor

The function TCPIP$SNMP_TRAPSND.EXE is used in a command file that is running detached (started with: run/detach/input=comfile.com/output=logfile.log/uic=[system] sys$system:loginout
So any output should go to the logfile and that normally works fine. But sometimes I get the described problem.
The tcpip version I use is V5.4 - ECO 4 on OpenVMS 7.3-2
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Hans,

does your .COM procedure always invoke TCPIP$SNMP_TRAPSND in the same place or are there multiple different invocations ?

Does your procedure change any of the involved logicals (SYS$OUTPUT, SYS$ERROR, SYS$COMMAND, SYS$INPUT) ?

TCPIP$SNMP_TRAPSND seems to output messages to both SYS$OUTPUT and/or SYS$ERROR, so by redirecting those using invalid device/file specifications, I get different parts of the message displays on my terminal (using TCPIP V5.5 on OpenVMS Alpha V8.2).

Volker.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Where does SYS$ERROR go?
(/ERROR= on the RUN command)

I use the function several times.
The logicals SYS$COMMAND, SYS$OUTPUT, etc. are untouched in the command procedure.
SYS$ERROR is undefined (I do not know what the default is). But it is not defined by me in the run/detach command.
But if that is wrong, why should it run correctly most of the times ??
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Ian,

$ HELP RUN PROC/ERROR
(The /ERROR qualifier is ignored if you are running SYS$SYSTEM:LOGINOUT.)

I would assume SYS$ERROR to also point to SYS$OUTPUT in this environment.

Volker.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor
Solution

I just stripped the text out of the exe and saw that it uses sys$login and sys$scratch to find certain files.

In detached, sys$login and sys$scratch are not defined. Maybe define them both and try again.

BTW : I also have stange things with other SNMP exe's running in detached.

Wim
Wim
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Hans,

there are 2 questions to be answered here:

- what happens, which causes TCPIP$SNMP_TRAPSND to try to output a message ?

- why does outputting the message fail ?

The 2nd question doesn't even arise, if there is no need to output a (error ?) message at all.

Could you run this .COM procedure in batch instead of in detached mode - as a workaround ?

Volker.