108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Experience with Availability Manager V2.6

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bart Zorn_1
Trusted Contributor

Experience with Availability Manager V2.6

This is not a question but a request for comments (an RFC ?).

Although I still am very disappointed that OpenVMS product management does not want to listen to all requests to keep AMDS at least working (that is, supply the minimum needed for newer OpenVMS versions), I have experimented a bit more with Availability Manager.

Now that AM finally has the equivalent of AMDS's system overview, it gets to a state that one could call 'useable'. Of course, there are problems:

- I have one DS15 with 1 Gb memory to run AM on (Java V1.5, FastVM), and a second DS15 also with 1 Gb (my workstation) to display the output. However, this seems to be not enough. Opening menus from subwindows (such as the Node display) takes several seconds. Repainting of windows (expose events) also take several seconds. The first DS15 is running at 65% cpu load all the time and it has little else to do but run AM. What configuration would I need to make it faster?

- When I exit AM on my workstation, CDE crashes. This is annoying, to say the least. DECW$SERVER_0_ERROR.LOG gives me no clue. I may find the time to open a call for this, but I probably have to crash CDE many times more to find out if there is relevant information somewhere.

There is also a positive point: When I open the Group overview window and minimize the main window, the CPU load on the DS15 drops to about 1%. I like the ability of the group window to enlarge the font!

AM is getting better, but it is still no AMDS!

Regards,

Bart Zorn
33 REPLIES 33
Bart Zorn_1
Trusted Contributor

I have to make a correction. The CPU load on the DS15 varies between 20% and 30%, not 65%.

The observed respons times, however, are correct.

Bart
Barry Kierstein
Advisor

Bart,

CDE crashes? That is a new one, haven't seen the problem here... What does the accounting record for the process say? Sometimes that has a clue. Look for quota exhaustion, etc. and the final status.

Are you running AM GUI on the console of the DS15, or throwing the display from the DS15 to another system? It sounds like if the DS15 is on your desk, you are using the console, but I like to be sure. If you are throwing the display, make sure you have installed the UPDATE patch for OpenVMS.

You might need to adjust a couple of the memory qualifiers. One other customer uses /IHEAP=48M/MHEAP=64M. If this is the case, you will see less CPU time spent on the application. This may help the window delays you mentioned.

Barry
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Bart,
Sounds like a bug to me. Please log a case with your local customer support centre.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Bart Zorn_1
Trusted Contributor

Barry, John, thanks for your reaction!

I am running AM on one DS15, in the datacenter, which has access to the Vlan on which the production systems sit, The display goes to a second DS15, on my desk, which (of course) only has tcp/ip access.

I used the default memory qualifier values until now. Of course, as luck would have it, when I stopped AM to restart it with the new qualifier values, CDE did not crash. I will try to find the accounting record of the last crash.

Now that AM is running with the bigger heap, the CPU load is still high, if not higher than before. I have been looking a few minutes, and according to AM itself the load varies between 50% and 80%.

Would it be useful if I open a call with HP?

Regards,

Bart
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Bart,

if you're running V7.3-2 (or higher) on the DS15, which you use to run Availability Manager Console/Analyzer, you could use System PC sampling to find out, where the CPU is spending its cycles:

$ ANAL/SYS
SDA> PCS ! to get some basic HELP
SDA> PCS LOAD
SDA> PCS START TRACE
... wait some time while running AM ...
SDA> PCS STOP TRACE
SDA> PCS SHOW TRACE/STAT
SDA> PCS UNLOAD
SDA> EXIT

Volker.
Bart Zorn_1
Trusted Contributor

Thanks, Volker.

I did have a look at the pc samples, and it sits most of its time in JAVA.

But we did not expect anything else, did we?

Regards,

Bart

Bart Zorn_1
Trusted Contributor

I see no way to identify the correct accounting record, because accounting records do not carry process names.

There are some processes terminated around the time of the crash: some with 00002BD4 (%SYSTEM-F-EXITFORCED), and some with 0001C0F4 (%RMS-F-RER)

Is there anything else I could do to retrieve usefule information?

Regards,

Bart
Barry Kierstein
Advisor
Solution

Bart,

On those accounting records, compare the peak page file and working set with those of the account, in case there is a resource exhaustion problem. You may want to set up a job that does a $ SHOW PROCESS/FULL/ID= periodically on your server process to catch more details. This may catch some problem with CDE.

The amount of CPU time AM uses depends on how much data is being collected and what is being shown on the screen. The 60% seems a bit excessive from what the team has seen here, the 15-30% range is more like it.

Work is being done to streamline the application where bottlenecks are found. Another is that the next version of AM will use the JVM 1.5, and that seems to be about 20% more efficient. Also, the team is working on WAN support, which makes the amount of network traffic much less (data travels in an IP stream).

Barry
Jeffrey Goodwin
Frequent Advisor

I'm also using AM V2.6A and am seeing similar system utilization as Bart. I have a DS10 running AM that is exporting the display to a Windows system via X. CPU utilization may dip down to 60% at times, but I'm typically running around 90%. In addition to the default collections, I'm also collecting Cluster, CPU Mode/Process, and Lock Contention. I have three groups with a total of 15 nodes being collected. I've increased memory usage to the point where it appears AM is mostly running in memory.

-Jeff