Operating System - OpenVMS
1751828 Members
5385 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Export VMS print queues

Dale Donnelly

Export VMS print queues

Is there a simple way to export all print queues with all parameters intact from one VMS node to another? Both machines are running 7.2-2. The most preferred would be a single "DB" file, similiar say to moving accounts with sysuaf.dat.

Alternatively, does VMS create an ASCII readible file with "INIT/QUE queuename" command strings with all parameters intact?

The least desirable solution would be to craft the INIT/QUE commands from SHOW QUE/ALL output.
8 REPLIES 8
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

Between cluster nodes You could move the SYS$QUEUE_MANAGER.QMAN$QUEUES file, but not between non-clustered nodes.

The least desirable solution is probably the best and easiest: a procedure taking the current queues, and producing a command-file of all the INIT commands to recreate the queues.
One such procedure was on the freeware V6 (or newer ones ?) FIXQUE.COM or FIX_QUEUE.COM.
After running @FIXQUE, just edit the resulting
FIXQUE_RELOAD.COM file, change the node-names to the new one, remove eventually unwanted queues to keep only the print queues.

http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

Dale,

I usually use the DCL procedures published in http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/asktima/operating_systems/0095D437-BBF6EF20-1C0097.html to create a DCL procedure that can recreate the queue database.

HTH,
Martin
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

FIXQUE indeed is on freeware V5.
But the procedure Martin mentions is more elegant anyway.
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

The bonus of doing it the Least desirable way also gives you a recreation command file if you ever end up with a corrupted queue manager file.

I always try to keep an init/que command procedure just to recreate the queues in those instances.
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Dale,

Exporting queues from one node to another is not done without problems......

If a queue has /FORM=DEFAULT=MY_SPECIAL_FORM then you need to export all FORMS too and if the form has a setupmodule, then you need the library.....

If you have LPD enabled and use LPD-queues, you need to export the printcap-file.....

And you need to update the startupfiles with the queue-definitions.

Your queues can have a lot of dependencies......

I hope you get my point(s).
I work a lot with queues.
Don't make it worse by guessing.........
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Oooops......
/DEFAULT=FORM=MY_SPECIAL_FORM
.....ofcourse
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

Hakan,

the procedures at the link I posted can be used to generate statements to create characteristics, forms, queues, and jobs.

You're right, of course, about print library modules and printcap files.

cu,
Martin
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Martin, ( and Dale )

If Dale has a lot of queues with different symbionts and forms with setupmoduls then it could be more than just a walk in the park......

We need to know more about the queue-environment before we could give a "good" advice.

$ SHOW QUE/FULL
$ SHOW QUE/FORM/FULL

give us the information we need to answer the question "Is there a simple way to export all print queues..."