108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: GNV 2.1 problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

GNV 2.1 problem

I ran in to a problem with GNV after I upgraded from version 1.6 to 2.1: Directories where the name contains a dot are accepted for ls, but attempting to cd to that direectory, or running a script there, fail.
Thgis worked with GNV 1.6.

Reason for upgrade: configure script hangs on searching include files. But that's another matter
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
6 REPLIES 6
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Forgot attachement showing the issue.
Willem Grooters
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor
Solution

Just a WAG, but try enabling DECC$EFS_CHARSET and see if that makes any difference. If done right, the bash image would enable everything it needs at start-up so you wouldn't need anything special to be in the environment already, but I have no idea whether it does that.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

That solved one problem: At least I can access the directory now.
But next is the configure script causing problems. Where GNV 1.6 did indeed start the compiler, 2.1 fails (see attachement) -exactly the same configure script.

This makes proting a lot more difficult...

Willem Grooters
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

Check out ftp://ftp.encompasserve.org/gnv and see what John Malmberg has put together to fix some of what was missing in GNV 2.1 as shipped. That's only general advice - I don't specifically know what's causing the trouble you are seeing.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

John Malmberg's patches may help, the problems in the configure script are partly solvable by some editing (as stated in the script's comments). I can probably get around a nomber of problems in another way so in the end, I may get on without GNV.
Willem Grooters
mike wagner_4
Occasional Advisor

The last time I looked at GNV 2.1, here documents did not work. Configure makes extensive use of them, like:

cat > conftest.$ac_ext << EOF

#line 722 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

main(){return(0);}
EOF

The output file is created, but empty. This results in %CC-W-EMPTYFILE messages. In other words, configure does not configure what you expect it to configure.

To work around this, you need to find the contents of the to be created file. It is in /tmp/sh. Just change configure to rename that file to the wanted one, here conftest.$ac_ext, here after the EOF line.

mw