Operating System - OpenVMS
1748123 Members
3329 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to set ADMIN password for PWRK 7.3a?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Clark Powell
Frequent Advisor

How to set ADMIN password for PWRK 7.3a?

If I don't know the the present PWRK 7.3 ADMIN password but I can log in as system, how do I change the ADMIN password? I've tried the command, ADMIN SET PASS ADMIN but it always wants the old password which I don't remember.

thanks
Clark Powell
8 REPLIES 8
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor
Solution

When logged in as system,

@sys$update:pwrk$config

This will require shutting down any active shares. It's been a while and I don't have a system handy, but so read the menu. The config option prompts for a new password.
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

I know Clark closed this already, but, wouldn't "ADMIN MODIFY USER admin /pass=mumble" work? Did I forget something?

MODIFY USER wouldn't require bouncing the server.

Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International
www.sciinc.com
Brad McCusker
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Brad,

Wouldn't you need to an Admin password to connect before using MOD USER?

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

Hi Andy,

Any user with sufficient VMS privs can do the ADMIN commands, but there are limits if the server is not the PDC. If itâ s the PDC you can do anything with the local domain without logging on. If itâ s a BDC or Member server you can do anything that doesnâ t involve domain accounts. If it requires communication with a domain controller _then_ you will have to do ADMIN LOGON first.

So on a PDC, you do the MOD USER command mentioned above to change the administrator password. If itâ s a Member server you can do $ ADMIN MOD USER ADMINISTRATOR/PASS=/DOMAIN=\\memberservername If itâ s a BDC, then youâ ll have to find the PDC ($ nbshow knbstatus domainname 1b) and reset the administrator password there.

Brad McCusker
www.sciinc.com
Brad McCusker
Clark Powell
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, Andy and Brad. Both answers worked and now that I've archived the data I will commit PWRK 7.3 to the deep. Pathworks served us well, in a large part thanks to Brad's classes at Bootcamp.

Clark Powell
Clark Powell
Frequent Advisor

see above
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

I was at Brad's all day session at DECUS San Diego when we updated to PWRK Lan Manager v6. Good details and never had a problem with a production site that wasn't in my notes from that session.
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I really enjoyed doing those DECUS seminars. Believe it or not, I probably learned as much from the collective class as you did from me. I valued the feedback I got from teaching and hope that it lead to a better overall product.

Cheers!

Brad
Brad McCusker