1748106 Members
4828 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing patches and TCP/IP 5.6 ECO 2

Juan M. Lazaro
Advisor

Installing patches and TCP/IP 5.6 ECO 2

Hi to all, I have a DS20 with VMS 8.2 and TCP/IP 5.5 ECO2, I was applying the patches revision and upgrading TCP/IP to 5.6, the patches I have install are:

VMS82A_UPDATE-V1000
VMS82A_STARLETOLB-V0100
VMS82A_VERIFY-V0100
DEC-AXPVMS-TCPIP-V0506-9ECO2-1

I've install them in that order.
First say than in my TCP/IP configuration I don't have a domain defined, this is before the installation:

TCPIP> sho comm

Communication Parameters

Local host: Domain:

Maximum Current Peak
Proxies 20

Remote Terminal
Large buffers: 0
UCBs: 0
Virtual term: disabled
TCPIP> sho name

BIND Resolver Parameters

Local domain: * Mismatch *

System

State: Started, Disabled

Transport: UDP
Domain:
Retry: Not defined
Timeout: Not defined
Servers: No values defined
Path: No values defined

Process

State: Disabled

Transport:
Domain:
Retry:
Timeout:
Servers:
Path:

After the upgrade, I can show a domaind and the BIND resolver defined:

TCPIP> sho comm

Communication Parameters

Local host: HOST01 Domain: xxxx.yyyy.es

Maximum Current Peak
Proxies 20

Remote Terminal
Large buffers: 0
UCBs: 0
Virtual term: disabled
TCPIP> sho name

BIND Resolver Parameters

Local domain: xxxx.yyyy.es

System

State: Started, Disabled

Transport: UDP
Domain:
Retry: Not defined
Timeout: Not defined
Servers: No values defined
Path: No values defined

Process

State: Disabled

Transport:
Domain:
Retry:
Timeout:
Servers:
Path:

Well, I think it is only to resolve names like HOST01.xxx.yyyy.es than are defined in the HOST table like

HOST01 IP Address

But I don't understand, why it takes an old domain configuration, because looking in the TCPIP$CONFIGURATION.DAT I can see that domain was defined before.

My question is, anybody knows if with the TCP/IP 5.6 ECO2 is obligatory define a domain?, apart to resolve domain names, with the BIND resolver, has another effect in the system?, because I have 6 VMS computers in the same network, and I must upgrade all of them, I must put the same domain to all the machines?

Only one more thing, it happens only when I apply TCP/IP 5.6 ECO2, if I install the patches only, my TCP/IP configuration remains the same.

Many thanks in advance.

Juan
5 REPLIES 5

Hello Juan,
yes what you are seeing is one modification included in ECO 2 of TCPIP.

Historically there has been a number of problems in systems without a domain defined. For this reasons is now a requisite to have a domain defined.

Of course, if you don't use any DNS server the name-tcpip resolution will always be done locally and it doesn't matter what domain name has been configured.

For sense common reasons, if you have multiple systems in this situation, you should configure the same domain in all of them but it's your choose.

Regards.
If downtime is not an option and security is a must think OpenVMS
Juan M. Lazaro
Advisor

Hi Buenaventura, thanks a lot about your reply, you know any HP link where can I found that information? about the modification included in tcp/ip 5.6 ECO 2 and about the problems caused in systems without a domain defined?, because I must inform to the client about that, and they must decide if we upgrade or not.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Juan

The information about the modifications are included in the release notes of the patch kit.

About the problems related to domain name not being defined information could be found also in the release notes of different patch kits and from different TCPIP versions. There isn't a specific document with this information.

Regards.
If downtime is not an option and security is a must think OpenVMS
Juan M. Lazaro
Advisor

Ok, I was looking different release notes where explains some system problems without domain name defined, and in the Installation manual prom tcp/ip 5.6, it says you must configure the domain in the core option, it's not optional.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Regards.
Juan
Juan M. Lazaro
Advisor

It's a mandatory define a domain name after TCP/IP 5.6, you can see it in the installation guide.
Thanks so much for your help Buenaventura.