5576 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Logout trace on accounting

gabus
Occasional Advisor

Logout trace on accounting

Hi,
is needed to trace the login/logout access on openvms system, I suppose that a no invasive method is to use the accounting. Using the account/type=process/process=interactive command I can see the login only, not the logout. Any suggestions about? Thanks Gabriele
7 REPLIES 7
Oswald Knoppers_1
Valued Contributor

If you add the /full qualifier accounting will show start and finish time.

Oswald
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Gabriele,

if you turn on image accounting ($ SET ACC/ENA=IMAGE), you could also actually see the LOGINOUT image activations for login and logout in the accounting file.

Note that activating image accounting will increase the size and growth rate of your accounting file.

Volker.
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

You may want to use auditing instead of accounting. See the following recent thread:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1402904

With process accounting, nothing is written to the accounting file until the process is deleted. With auditing, the login information is written shortly after the login completes.

Jon
it depends
gabus
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for yours replies. Auditing is really the more correct process. I have seen the example in http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.vms/msg/d724acded9a18d2a but it require Decnet. On the system that I have to monitor is present only the TCP/IP protocol. Presume that the only way to obtain login/out info is the accounting or intercept the login/out in the SYS$MANAGER:SYLOGIN.COM. I have attempt to use it with success but the file written could be open RW to all users, and this behavior is not acceptable for security reasons.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

OpenVMS security auditing is not tied to DECnet.

Are you looking to track specific IP activities, and not the generic login and logout activities as were mentioned in the original posting?

If so, which IP activities? And which IP stack?
gabus
Occasional Advisor

I'm looking for trace all the interactive login/logout. The only service opened to interactive logins is the ssh. Gabriele
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Reposting this. One of the usual ITRC failures has arisen and the attempt to post this dropped. Checked for a posting that got through, and didn't see one. Apologies if this does does get duplicated.

-

If you're not seeing ssh activity in the audit logs and if you have auditing for (at least for testing purposes) all process login and logout types, then that's indicative of an issue between the ssh daemon and OpenVMS.

I'd check for ECOs for whatever IP stack and IP version you're using here and then (if you have support and if the problem persists) ring up HP.

There have been various reports of, um, certain omissions and certain design oddities within the implementation of authentication within at least a few versions of the TCP/IP Services ssh daemon. I'd thought much of that had been remediated, however.

Based on a quick check with /SSH Secure Shell OpenVMS (V5.5) 3.2.0 on COMPAQ Professional Workstation - VMS V8.3/ and TCP/IP Services /V5.6 - ECO 4/, I do see login audits for a network and then a detached user; they're not the typical interactive login audits I'd tend to expect for this stuff, so they may be slipping past your selection criteria. The detached process login is probably going to be the most interesting here; that's the one you'll want to collect.

It'd be more typical if these audits were interactive logins; not sure what's up with this stuff, but it looks to be how the ssh daemon is working.