108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Monitoring MSA1000 from OpenVMS - MSA$UTIL questions

SOLVED
Go to solution
Layne Burleson_1
Regular Advisor

Monitoring MSA1000 from OpenVMS - MSA$UTIL questions

I need a way to monitor the MSA1000 attached to a vms system 7.3-2. I looked at the msa_util but can't get past the SET CONTROLLER option. I don't know what to tell it to user for the controller id. The name that was manually given to the controller was MSA-RMC but that doesn't work. I've also tried $1$gga1: and that did not work.

(1) what controller id does the command want and (2) is there a better way to monitor the MSA from VMS for failures?
7 REPLIES 7
EdgarZamora
Trusted Contributor

Do a $ show dev gg /full to find out which device(s) are your MSA controllers. You can then use that in MSA_UTIL.

Example:

CLCC> sho dev gg/full

Device $1$GGA101:, device type COMPAQ MSA1000, is online, shareable.

Error count 0 Operations completed 13
Owner process "" Owner UIC [SYSTEM]
Owner process ID 00000000 Dev Prot S:RWPL,O:RWPL,G:RWPL,W:RWPL
Reference count 0 Default buffer size 0
WWID 02000008:5008-05F3-0010-F680

CLCC> run sys$etc:msa_util
MSA> set controller $1$gga101:
MSA> show controller

Controller: _$1$GGA101: (DEFAULT)
MSA1000 (c) COMPAQ P56350DX3PQ08F Software 4.48
Controller Identifer: 101
NODE_ID = 500805f3-0010f680
SCSI_VERSION = SCSI-3
Supported Redundancy Mode: Active/Standby
Current Redundancy mode: Active/Standby
Current Role: Active
Device Port SCSI address 7
Host Port_1:
REPORTED PORT_ID = 500805f3-0010f681
PORT_1_TOPOLOGY = Not available to this program
Cache:
256 megabyte read cache 256 megabyte write cache
Cache is GOOD, and Cache is enabled.
No unflushed data in cache.
Battery:
Battery is fully charged.
MSA>
Layne Burleson_1
Regular Advisor

When I do what you suggested, I don't have any gg devices. Yet, I know the MSA is connected because I can access the data on the drives in the MSA.
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you don't have a $1$GG device, then your MSA1000 isn't fully configured.

Tthe command console lun (CCL) or the Storage Array ControSACD, depending on what generation widget) probably needs a UDID.

On some of the fibre channel controllers, it's the command "set this_controller identifier=[identifier]" to get the CCL visible, while the Modular Smart Array (MSA) 1000 and 1500 (MSA1000, MSA1500) series use "set this_controller_id [identifier]", where the identifier is a numeric value unique to each controller; each controller gets its own value. Try configuring that, and see if the $1$GGA (GG; console) device pops into existence on next controller and OpenVMS boot.

The documentation in this area is weak, at best, and I don't have an MSA1000 handy to check. This is from memory.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC

Layne Burleson_1
Regular Advisor

thanks, Hoff. That got my GG devices to show. It was documented that it had to be numeric for OpenVMS... I put it in my notes but obviously overlooked it at configuration time.

Any ideas how I can monitor for errors on the MSA1000? With the Smart Arrays, I could use WBEM and some home grown tools to look over the error log.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

The MSA1000 is supposed to log errors into ERRLOG.SYS, but this may depend on the patch level of your OpenVMS system. Make sure you have the most recent FIBRE_SCSI patch installed.

WEBES V4.5.1 (SEA) claims to support Modular SAN Array 1000

Volker.
Layne Burleson_1
Regular Advisor

Thanks to everyone for their input.... once I get monitoring up and running I'll try to post my results for the record.
Layne Burleson_1
Regular Advisor

I'm closing this thread for now until I get a chance to try out WBEM and see what statistics I call pull from the MSA. Thanks again.