1752276 Members
5047 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mount 2nd hard drive on startup

Mirza Rizwan Ahmed
Occasional Advisor

Mount 2nd hard drive on startup

I am using ALphaServer2000 with OpenVMS 6.21H3. I want to mount my 2nd drive Dka100: on system startup automatically. it is already define in sys$Manager:systartup_vms.com as "mount system/noassist dka100:" but when I check "show device" it show Dka100: online but not mounted. but once I mount manually it mounts without any error.
Where it is failing during startup? any help shall be appreciate.

16 REPLIES 16
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

You need to specify the label as a parameter to the mount command:

$ mount system/noassist dka100: label

If you mount the disk manually, MOUNT will ask for the label, but it will fails, if the MOUNT is issued from a command procedure.

Watch the console output during boot and you might see an error message. Consider to set the system-parameter STARTUP_P2 = "D", this will automatically write all messages during startup to SYS$SYSTEM:STARTUP.LOG for later analysis.

Volker.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

But be carefull. Found this is my old sent mail.

To receive a dump of the boot messages in a file, I had put the system parameter STARTUP_P2 on D on all arb stations.
Undocumented is however, that this D is passed to all procedures declared in sysman (sysman startup show files *) WHEN no parameters are declared in sysman for the procedure. Thus lat$startup was executed with P2="D" which was interpreted as being the node name. Since many stations received the same name (D), the communication with the printer went wrong.

Only important if you modify the startup db (as we did in 2001).

Wim
Wim
Mirza Rizwan Ahmed
Occasional Advisor

Yes actually forget the lebel in last message but it is already define in Mount command like "mount /system/noassist Dka100: Alpha2Data".

Even I enabled to capture startup long in "Startup.log" file and try to view it but it is showing no message about Dka100: mount command.

??

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

The code you've added to SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM to mount this disk may not be executed at all. There may be some error in SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM, which may cause it to terminate...

Any "-E-" or "-F-" in STARTUP.LOG ?

Volker.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

No "exit" on the first line of systartup_vms ?
Is the mount command reached ?
Is sys$Manager:systartup_vms.com not reached in the boot due to modification in the boot ?

Try adding as first line :
$ write sys$output "Now in systartup_vms"

And just before the mount
$ write sys$output "Now going to mount"

Wim
Wim
Jansen_8
Regular Advisor

I think the
/SYSTEM
is missing on the mount command. If not specified it mounts the disk for the current user. If this user logs out (when finishing the startup-procedure) the disk dismounts automatically.
Mirza Rizwan Ahmed
Occasional Advisor

Yes I checked there is NO sign of -E- or -F- in startup.log file. Moreover I added following lines in systartup_vms.com file
"$ write sys$output "Now in systartup_vms"" in beginning and "$ write sys$output "Now mounting Dka100:"" before mount command.
Then as I check log file it is showing first message but 2nd is missing. means it is not able to reach to mount command but I also check there is no Exit command before mount command too.

Is there any way to run systartup_vms.com in interactive manner during startup of o/s.

regards,
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

You could add a $ SET VERIFY after the first test output in SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM, then you'll find all the commands in SYS$SYSTEM:STARTUP.LOG afterwards.

You could also set STARTUP_P2="VD", this also turns on VERIFY in addition to the STARTUP.LOG file output.

If there is no SET NOON and an error happens during SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM, the procedure will be aborted.

Volker.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Or post the startup_vms.cpom file here.

Wim
Wim