5535 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Move number of command lines to the left/right in LSE Editor

SOLVED
Go to solution
lse edtor

Move number of command lines to the left/right in LSE Editor

Is there any command in LSE editor to move selected group of lines ( for exmaple 10 lines)to the left or right?
10 REPLIES 10
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Do you wish to shift the display or to add or
subtract spaces to/from the front of the
lines?
H.Becker
Honored Contributor

LSE has some BOX commands, which may do what you want, especially BOX PASTE/OVER.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Hello Anonymous,

Yes, LSE can do this. IIRC, select the block of text normally, then PF1 and then right or left arrow to change the indent level. The shift is based on the current indent setting. (I don't have an OpenVMS box with LSE installed immediately available to test this.)

I am not sure if this keypad sequence is in the documentation and (if not) it's worth submitting a support (enhancement) request at HP should your Anonymous Employer have a support contract for DECset, or should you or another Anonymous reader here work for or at HP itself.

And more centrally, consider getting out of LSE and use a more familiar and more capable editor (vim, microemacs, whatever your local preference) or migrate over to an IDE (Netbeans, Eclipse) that you're more familiar with working within. There's little reward in learning a keypad-based editor anew these days. (I have used LSE for over a dozen years; it's still a very good editor, but that keypad is a real problem in a modern emulated environment.)

Or as an alternative, use the Artistic Style tool or another available source code tool to format and clean up the source code for you. (Without mention of the particular language(s) in use, I don't know off-hand if Artistic Style will work here, though.)

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC
Cronin John

Try the SHIFT command. I think it is SHIFT LEFT n, where n is the amount of columns.
lse edtor

Hi. I tried your suggestions and it did not work for me. Certainly I could do a lot of text manipulation with other editors, but I am staring a project using COBOL on VMS and I would hope that LSE could serve my needs so I would not jump from one editor to another to structure my program. Thank you so much for your time and help! I still think there should be something that performs this task.
lse edtor

Could you please provide more detail on BOX command. I tried to select text then issue command: BOX Copy; and then command: BOX paste. It did not work but I think that I probably missing something
RBrown_1
Trusted Contributor

It didn't work for you? I don't know where you are coming from or what your background is.

Hoff has the right answer. When in LSE, try the HELP INDENT command.

I just did a short test with LSE in a character cell terminal window.

1. type in some text
2. select a few lines
3. INDENT RIGHT
4. INDENT LEFT

Works fine. It is even easier in decwindows (see the edit menu).

Are you using the character interface? Or the decwindows interface?

If using character cell, what kind of terminal are you using? Does VMS agree?
$ SHOW TERMINAL

Are you aware that and refer to keys on the keyboard?
H.Becker
Honored Contributor

LSE Command> show version
LSE version : V4.9

Type in some text in a couple of lines:

This is an example for some
useless text in
a couple of lines

Move the text cursor to 'This' in the first line.
Use the select key or LSE Command> set select
Move the cursor after the end of 'couple'.
LSE Command> box cut

n example for some
ext in
of lines

Below this text, make room for three more lines, move cursor to next free line after the current text
LSE Command> box paste

n example for some
ext in
of lines
This is a
useless t
a couple
lse edtor

I think probably I need to set my keyboard properly. When I tried your sample it Cuts and Copied only first symbols in selected text.