1748081 Members
5095 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NFS service from XP NFS client to OpenVMS NFS server

Michelle_68
Frequent Advisor

NFS service from XP NFS client to OpenVMS NFS server

We would like to mount a file system from a rx3600 server running OpenVMS 8.3/TCPWARE to a PC running Windows XP. I have done this using UNIX as a Client but I have never done this with a Windows XP machine as a Client. What software should I load on the XP machine? Microsoft has a program called "Services for Unix" that will provide the NFS client function. Has anyone ever tried this? Is there something better? Thank you!!
4 REPLIES 4
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

Re: NFS service from XP NFS client to OpenVMS NFS server

Hi michelle,

you could try using hp's cifs (samba) release
i do believe process software have patches to enable hp's cif release with tcpware.
Michelle_68
Frequent Advisor

We ended up using "Services for Unix" on the PC. We downloaded this from Microsoft site and installed it on the XP PC. It provided us with the NCP utility that we needed.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

michelle,

hope that works ok for you, but have found odd issues in the past with spurious extra characters appearing at the beginning of files when using nfs with vms/windows. i have'nt found the same issues with the more windows oriented cifs/samba.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Might want to ask this question in a Windows forum.

Better audience for Windows questions.

There are various NFS clients for Windows around.

AFAIK, the SFU stuff isn't in the Microsoft mainline strategy; they're reportedly planning on allowing downloads of SFU through 2009 or so and support through 2011, IIRC. And they're headed toward the increased integration found with the SUA components within recent Windows Server 2003 and a subset of the Windows Vista packages.