Go to solution
Feige
Advisor

OpenVMS Cluster System Performance

Dear all,

I setup a Alpha cluster system: node A and nodes B. Configuration as follows:

Node A: Memory 4G,OpenVMS Ver8.2,Oracle 9.2.0.2
Node B: Memory 4G,OpenVMS Ver8.2,Oracle RAC 9.2.0.2

Now We run Startup Node A and Startup B, After checked $show cluster is ok, then I startup Oracle node A and B separately,instance names: "YUDB1" and "YUDB2",and DB name is "YUDB".

After successfully start oracle,then I follow two mode to start "YUAPP" application but get fully different result:

1) Standalone start "YUAPP" on node A,if need I firstly manually stop "YUAPP" on node A and then start "YUAPP" on node B. In this mode,this performance is very great. CPU utility is only 5%~10% at most,Page fault is 0~40.
2) I start application "YUAPP" to "ONLINE" mode on node A, and node B to "Standby" mode.
Two process "SWITCHMONITOR" is always monitoring "YUAPP" status every 1 seconds.Once "ONLINE" is lost then "STANDBY" automatically switch from "STANDBY" to "ONLINE".Unfortunately, the CPU utility is high than 25%. and Page fault some time is 400.

What's wrong? Please help me because customer is challenging me. Thanks in advance.
16 REPLIES 16
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

Re: OpenVMS Cluster System Performance

Hello

I am not sure I have understood what you want to do, but you shoudl run some tool in order to have some data to analyze, like
Ecp
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/ecp/index.html
or
Tdc
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/tdc/index.html

A basic
$ monitor dlock
on both nodes should be interesting, as
$ monitor process/topcpu
$ monitor process/topfault
$ monitor modes

Feige
Advisor

I set account: system/prclm=90 and oracle/prolm=50,

Maybe is too small? which is ok?

Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

I doubt, that PRCLM is the culprit, it's the subprocess quota limit. To be sure, just increase it and try.

regards Kalle
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Feige,

What is running on the node that is "performing poorly"? What processes are actively consuming CPU time and generating page faults?

Much of this information can be determined using the MONITOR utility and supplemental tools such as T4.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Typically incorrect process limits will cause an application to fail, not for it to go slower. That is unless the error handler would go into a tight loop trying again and again.

Are those 4-cpu boxes?
So could 25+ % cpu be explained by a process looping?

Did it ever work 'correctly'?

Do you have system performance tools running (ECP, T4,...).

I would suggest a simple $MONI PROC/TOPC and/or MONI PROC/TOPF to 'see' what process(es) are using the extra resources and take it from there.

I would not be surprised if that was an Application Process, nor Oracle, nor system.
You may want to contact the support organization for the application. (is that you? :-).

Hope this helps some,
Hein van den Heuvel (at gmail dot com)
HvdH Performance Consulting

Feige
Advisor

Hein van den,

Thank you very much!

Now a subprocess after running 10min then fails to quit. after restart the subprocess the same thing still happens. my god!

I think ORACLE account PRCLM is too small(PRCLM=50),so change to PRCLM=200,but not run AUTOGEN and restart alpha server. it still happens.

maybe after change the parameter PRCLM=200,must and should run AUTOGEN and restart.
Feige
Advisor

Hein,
The Application Process is developed by me.but if I only start oracle on node A or B, everything is ok.

If I start Oracle on node A and B, then it happens.

Thanks!
Feige
Advisor

Hi,Everyone

Anything else if it's possible?I still can't fix the problems.

Help me. Customer is challenging me.........

Thanks!
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> I still can't fix the problems.
>> Help me.
>> Customer is challenging me.........

Sure. Send money first.

Seriously, if a customer is paying you to sort this out, and you can not, then you may need to engage professional help.
Maybe from Oracle, maybe from HP, maybe independent.
So far I have not seen enough pertinent data to suggest that the problem is in capable hands, nor enough data to allow well willing (and able!) folks here to help beyond basic stuff.

Best regards,
Hein.