1753482 Members
4293 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS Disable SMTP Listener but still send email

Glyn Gowing, Ph.D.

OpenVMS Disable SMTP Listener but still send email

Hello,

I need to know how to disable the SMTP listener on an OpenVMS machine running the UCX package but I still need to be able to send email from this machine.

I cannot seem to find anything that makes that distinction - everything I can find either disables everything or enables everything.

Thanks.
21 REPLIES 21
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

I do not understand the question.
You want to be able to send mail but not with UCX SMTP?
If so, you can look for MX mail for MadGoat.
http://www.madgoat.com/mx042.html
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

I tried to just disable the receiver by
TCPIP DISABLE SMTP
but that seems to disable sending as well, at least a test mail got lost.

In principle disabling service smtp should just close the receiver port. In my test I saw the mail delivered o.k., but it never arrived.

Try and test it on Your site.
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Still do not understand.
You do not need SMTP listener at all to send mail.
See this:
Start a Telnet session from a DCL by entering:
Telnet your.mailserver.com 25

220 a.mail.server.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 6.0.3790.2499 ready at Thu, 29 Jun 2006 15:59:02 -0600
helo

250 a.mail.server.com Hello [192.168.0.15]
mail from: fromemail@server.com

250 2.1.0 email@server.com...Sender OK
rcpt to: joe@server.com

250 2.1.5 joe@server.com
data

354 Start mail input; end with .
This is a test.
. (enter a dot/period to end the data)

250 2.6.0 Queued mail for delivery

quit
Connection to host lost.

You can use PINE for VMS, for example.
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

I think he is trying to get SMTP to not acknowledge that it is running on that system. Might be for something as simple as "security" (i.e. security scans report SMTP running on system so security people come down saying - Turn it off).

I don't know of anyway to turn off "listener". About the only thing I have done on my systems was to suppress reporting smtp version
$ define/system/exec TCPIP$SMTP_SUPPRESS_VERSION_INFO 1

Can you explain what you want and why you want it? It could be different terms used or communicaton error with people is all.

Hoff
Honored Contributor

Ok, regardless of the use of Simple within the acronym, SMTP is big and hairy and some understanding is required in order to deal with questions involving this beast. I'm going to shot-gun this, to try to provide enough terms to allow further discussion if I've guessed wrong on the intent here.

There are the client Mail User Agents (MUAs). The OpenVMS MAIL utility is an MUA. On OpenVMS with TCP/IP Services, the mail message transport agent known as SMTP% is a key piece of the implementation of the MUA.

There are the Mail Submission Agents (MSAs). These receive the message from the MUA.

There are the Mail Transfer Agents (MTAs) SMTP servers. These shovel the messages around.

And there are the Mail Delivery Agents (MDAs). On OpenVMS, the MDA gets the message from the mail server into the mail folder.

In its entirety, the MUA mail client connects to the MSA which uses the MTA to deliver the message via the MDA.

Various of these hunks can be combined together. On OpenVMS, the MSA and the MTA both use port 25, and the same underpinnings. In particular, OpenVMS combines MSA, MTA and MDA together in one "hunk".

Most SMTP mail servers (MTAs) generally use port 25, and can also be configured as MSAs to accept messages via port 25 or (becoming far more common given spam) via ESMTP and port 587. Yes, you can do ESMTP on 25. (That is rare, in my experience.)

OpenVMS does not provide an ESMTP MSA.

TCP/IP Services and OpenVMS Mail together provide all four pieces of SMTP. On OpenVMS, you can't disable receipt of messages via the server without also disabling client operations, as the server is how the client sends its messages out.

What you will have to do here is to disable SMTP entirely, and scrounge up an SMTP client that uses a client port on a remote host. Probably an ESMTP (SMTP AUTH) client. Again, this client usually submits via port 587, though it's technically feasible to implement ESMTP on port 25. Most ISPs I am aware of tend to require use of port 587, and don't tend to accept from MUAs via (unauthenticated) port 25.

One of the more common MUA (clients) for OpenVMS that can provide ESMTP is built within Mozilla, but it would not be particularly difficult for a software engineer to create one if none more suitable can be found. There are other clients around.

I have not encountered an SMTP transport agent for OpenVMS mail itself -- this is the SMTP% transport stuff I am referring to here -- that does ESMTP. It would be an add-on, or would otherwise replace the provided SMTP% transport agent.

Or you leave SMTP services enabled.

Feel free to contact me offline if you'd like to discuss this topic further. I've tossed a whole lot of detail -- possibly too much -- into a really tiny text box.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

I haven't tried it, but you might be able to
get the desired effect by configuring SMTP
normally (verifying that it works both ways),
and then using "SET SERVICE /ACCEPT = HOST =
addr", where "addr" is something harmless,
like the system's own address, or some unused
or inaccessible address.

I'm assuming that this affects only incoming
connection requests, but no bets.
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

Hoff:
TCP/IP Services and OpenVMS Mail together provide all four pieces of SMTP. On OpenVMS, you can't disable receipt of messages via the server without also disabling client operations, as the server is how the client sends its messages out.

Well it is just heuristics, not knowing what happens behind the scene:
At least if TCPIP$SMTP is always using a gateway (general and alternate gateway), it seems to be sending mail even if the local SMTP server is disabled.

The test I reported earlier was successful, I just was confused by the mail received delayed (I had it sent via gateway back to the node where the receiver was disabled :-).

Without external gateway then there (probably) must be a local SMTP/port 25 server. (?)
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
Steve-Thompson
Regular Advisor

Hi Glyn

Im sure you can achieve what you want this way.

Configure a normal working SMTP server and then simply deny all imcoming mail. This can be achieved using the ANTISPAM facility.
(18.6 - AntiSPAM section of TCPIP management)

It's very flexible! You can DENY everything or selectively allow a domain or person!
And it works....

Regards
Steven
Steve-Thompson
Regular Advisor

Glyn ...

Thinking about this a bit more....
Are you trying to "hide" the VMS box?
My previous suggestion doesnt hide the box. In a correctly configured DNS/MX environment email senders will receive a REJECT message.

If your (VMS) SMTP problem is in a private network, you could use DNS/MX to your advantage to literally lose all incoming mail, and thus hide the VMS box.

As is one of my VMS servers. [My] VMS box is a server, and it doensnt collaborate in DNS, because it doesnt need to. BUT it sends SMTP mail to a "Notes" server and to the outside world.

The effect is I can send SMTP messages but there's no way the real SMTP/MX servers can route mail back to me because they dont know the VMS box exists.

Regards
Steven