Operating System - OpenVMS
1753903 Members
10080 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS Telnet Printing

Rohit Kalicharran

OpenVMS Telnet Printing

I use a Powerhouse Application on OpenVMS and normally prints to the serial ports of my EpsonDFX8500 printers that are connected to DEC Terminal Servers.
I have now installed ethernet print servers in the printers and am now experiencing some printing problems.

Whenever I print on preprinted forms, two lines would skip over to the next page. This would accumulate, ie, two lines would skip to the second page, four to the third and so on.

When I print normal reports, I don't have this problem.

Please note that everything was fine when i was using the DEC Terminal Servers and the Printer's serial port. Also, I was using a Latsym symbiont for the print queue in OpenVMS.

The difference from when everything was fine to now are:
1. The interface on the printer was changed from serial to ethernet
2. the printer was connected to a DEC Terminal Server and is now connected to a Network switch.
3. The print queue was changed from LATSYM to TCPIP$TELNETSYM.
4. From 3 above, i presume the communication protocol was changed from LAT to TCP/IP.

If I change bach to the old settings, everything works fine but I have some remote offices that only use TCPIP to connect to the main office so the LAT prionting is not and option there.

Any help would be appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Items 1 through 4 are al facets of the same change; a move from LAT to IP telnet, and from one particular terminal server to another.

I'd almost guess that there was an old set of print forms for printing (forms are associated with the print queue) that were not carried over to the new queue. If the old queues are still around, check the settings.

Check the LP Lines setting (the sys$lp_lines logical name), the form length setting associated with the print queue (SHOW QUEU/FORM/FULL queuename, etc), the terminal server length setting (there's usually one of these), and dig around. Also check the setting around formfeeds; there are various ways to process a formfeed found in the data.

See if the pre-printed forms are really shorter, too.

There may well be a knob inside Cognos Powerhouse, too.

Also determine exactly what the application is sending; what characters are in the data stream. Linefeeds, formfeeds, carriage returns, etc. Check the data in the print stream.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC

Rohit Kalicharran

Thanks to Hoff for the reply.

The forms for the two print queues are both set to default, so I don't think that's the problem.

I'm not sure how to check the data in the print stream.

Here are the settings for the two queues:

$ show que sys$prin* /full
Terminal queue SYS$PRINT, idle, on NISAXP::SYS_PRT, mounted form DEFAULT
< GENICOM Printer In Computer Room at BRICKDAM >
/AUTOSTART_ON=(NISAXP::SYS_PRT) /BASE_PRIORITY=4 /DEFAULT=(FORM=DEFAULT)
Lowercase /OWNER=[SYSTEM] /PROCESSOR=LATSYM
/PROTECTION=(S:RSMD,O:RS,G:RS,W:RS) /SCHEDULE=(NOSIZE)

Printer queue SYS$PRINT2, idle, on NISAXP::"PRTGLODPO01:9100",
mounted form DEFAULT
/AUTOSTART_ON=(NISAXP::"PRTGLODPO01:9100") /BASE_PRIORITY=4 /DEFAULT=(FEED,
FORM=DEFAULT) Lowercase /OWNER=[SYSTEM] /PROCESSOR=TCPIP$TELNETSYM
/PROTECTION=(S:M,O:D,G:R,W:S)
Rohit Kalicharran

Also, the forms are the same length: 11 inches.

The forms actually contains 3 vouchers(cheques). Everything is fine with with the first two vouchers. The Problem starts with the third one (last voucher on the page.
Bill Hall
Honored Contributor

The HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Management manual contains a section on troubleshooting telnet symbiont printing problems by using the logical name TCPIP$TELNETSYM_DEBUG to force a log file of the character stream that is being sent to the printer. I suspect you may have to use some combination of the logicals TCPIP$TELNETSYM_RAW_TCP and TCPIP$TELNETSYM_SUPPRESS_FORMFEEDS to modify the print stream.

I you reviewed the printer's new network interface for the existence of any appropriate switches or knobs that might be causing the network interface itself to add the extra lines?

Bill
Bill Hall
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The forms are either different lengths, or the forms themselves have nothing to do with the underlying issue.

In addition to the previous reply around monitoring the data stream, you could also stop the queues, then merge the contents of the queues to a queue of your own, and use the Freeware EXECSMB or such to see what's in the files.

On no evidence, I might well suspect Cognos is helping here, as that looks to be one of the biggest differences.

Cognos support database does have some discussions of printing, and how you control same. Not that I can get into the Cognos database.

Another option is to -- since you're using the same form for both -- create a second form that's shorter. See if that works.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC

Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

If these are being printed with /form=default, can you please show us the output of

$ show queue/form/full default

Also the output of

$ show term/full

for the LTA device the working LATSYM queue is using.

Is there some long line (most likely with many blanks) at the end of the second voucher? Or, does Cognos put characters directly in the output file? Given your description, the only thing I can think of that could explain is something that the LTDRIVER is doing "behind the scenes".

My guess: LTA device is set /nowrap and the DEFAULT form is set to /wrap/notruncate

If the LTA device set to /nowrap it will truncate records longer than the /width, and therefore suppress adding linefeeds.

My suggestion: use /nowrap/truncate and set the width correctly on the form that the vouchers are printed with.

Jon
it depends
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Rohit,

I just noticed that your LATSYM queue was setup with /default=(feed,form=default) and your TCPIP$TELNETSYM queue is setup with /default=(form=default). Why was the feed needed on the LATSYM queue but not the TCPIP$TELNETSYM queue?

Jon
it depends
Rohit Kalicharran

First, Thanks for all the replies.

Can any one tell me how to change the parameters for the forms used in the queues. Here are the settings for the forms and the lat device:
=========================================
Form name Number Description
--------- ------ -----------
DEFAULT 0 System-defined default
/LENGTH=66 /MARGIN=(BOTTOM=6) /STOCK=DEFAULT /TRUNCATE /WIDTH=132

==================================
$ show term/full sys_prt
Terminal: _LTA100: Device_Type: LA210 Owner: SYMBIONT_3
Username: SYSTEM

Input: 38400 LFfill: 0 Width: 132 Parity: None
Output: 38400 CRfill: 0 Page: 66

Terminal Characteristics:
Interactive Echo Type_ahead No Escape
No Hostsync TTsync Lowercase Tab
Wrap Hardcopy No Remote Eightbit
Broadcast No Readsync Form Fulldup
No Modem No Local_echo No Autobaud Hangup
No Brdcstmbx No DMA No Altypeahd Set_speed
No Commsync No Line Editing Overstrike editing No Fallback
No Dialup No Secure server No Disconnect No Pasthru
No Syspassword SIXEL Graphics No Soft Characters No Printer Port
Numeric Keypad No ANSI_CRT No Regis No Block_mode
No Advanced_video No Edit_mode No DEC_CRT No DEC_CRT2
No DEC_CRT3 No DEC_CRT4 No DEC_CRT5 No Ansi_Color
VMS Style Input

Device spooled to _DKC0:
$
==================================

I noticed in the Default form, there is a bottom margin of 6 lines. I wonder if i change this, what will happen to the prints.

As for the setting "/default=(feed,form=default)", I just created the TCP queue with the default settings, The Latsym queue i did not create myself.

Also, I don't have any problem with the width since everything is being printed, just not where i want it.
RBrown_1
Trusted Contributor

Use the DEFINE/FORM command to modify or create a form. HELP DEFINE/FORM will probably tell you everything you need to know.

In your case:

Form name Number Description
--------- ------ -----------
DEFAULT 0 System-defined default
/LENGTH=66 /MARGIN=(BOTTOM=6) /STOCK=DEFAULT /TRUNCATE /WIDTH=132

$ DEFINE/FORM DEFAULT 0/LENGTH=66 /MARGIN=(BOTTOM=4) /STOCK=DEFAULT /TRUNCATE /WIDTH=132

(unwrap line and insert continuation characters are required.)

Mind you I don't know if you are allowed to change the default form. If that turns out to the case, you can just pick a new form name and number in the above command.