108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OpenVMS: UIC changes producing unexpected results

SOLVED
Go to solution
pkraatz
Occasional Collector

OpenVMS: UIC changes producing unexpected results

I'm a new poster here and have run into an quandry I've not been able to track down. We're doing a lot of tests on UIC to make sure certain COM's are run by a specific user. For years (litterally) it's been expecting [ORACLE] from this lexical statement: if f$getjpi ("","uic") .nes. "[ORACLE]" then it will resubmit the job through a batch queue under the Oracle user. Recently a change was made to the Oracle user that when this test occurs now, it fails even under the ORACLE account because the same test is returning [<name>,ORACLE]. Other than the UIC line in the account looking like this: [700,100] ([<name>,ORACLE]), when it should just be: [700,100] ([ORACLE]).

I've looked at several modifications that I thought may return the account to it's previous appearance, but to no avail. Any ideas on where I should look would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: OpenVMS: UIC changes producing unexpected results

I always found this confusing, so I know nothing, but my Web search
for:
      openvms uic
did lead to this:

http://h41379.www4.hpe.com/doc/84final/ba554_90015/ch04s01.html

which my provide an explanation.  To be sure, you might need to
investigate other members of group 700, and/or other [*,ORACLE] users.

David R. Lennon
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi,

It seems if there is a rights identifier that names the UIC group, then it will display the [group,member] as a name, if there is only a rights id for the member then it shows it as [member]. If neither rights id is present, it will show the numbers.

For example, here:

UAF> SHOW ORACLE

Username: ORACLE Owner: ORACLE DB TEST

Account: ORACLE UIC: [277,100] ([ORA,ORACLE])

[...]

UAF> show/id ora

Name Value Attributes

ORA [000277,177777]

Note the 177777 as the member number, this means the entire group or "*".

UAF> show/id oracle

Name Value Attributes

ORACLE [000277,000100]

So to get back your old behavior, simply remove the group rights id, in my case ORA by saying:

UAF> REMOVE/ID ORA

It can always be re-created with:

UAF> ADD/ID/VALUE=UIC:[277,*] ORA

Regards,

Dave

pkraatz
Occasional Collector

Dave,

Thanks for the expanation and resolution! It has returned the behavior back to what was expected. We'll be watching the jobs for a few days to make sure they will resume properly.

And thanks to you Steven, that link is a wealth of information and to be honest was hard to keep my eyes open reading it. I'll have to space it out over a few days to absorb what I can.

Regards,

Patrick