1748151 Members
3490 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Pathworks problem

ianvt
Advisor

Pathworks problem

I have a customer running VMS 7.3-2 and Pathworks V6.1 (Advanced Server). They have a restricted share that has been operational for some time. One of the PC's connecting to the share has been replaced by a new one (due to hardware failure) and now the user cannot access the share anymore. The error that you get when trying to map a drive letter to the share is "Username is invalid". The user can connect to shares that are open to guests.
Can anyone shed some light on the problem?
7 REPLIES 7
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

ianvt,

do you have any workstation restrictions on the account in question, it may have changed with the pc replacement.

Ian,

Have you by chance replaced a Windows 2000 PC with an Windows XP PC. If so then you may have a problem with encrypted login information.

By default XP encrypts the login info (presumably to protect against packet sniffers). The version of Pathworks you are running won't be able to understand this so you may need to set a local security policy to disable the encryption.

Help on how to do this can be found here :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318266/)

Hope this helps,

John

John Harper
ianvt
Advisor

Mark & John

Thanks for your responses, but no there is no workstation restrictions on the account. And both the workstations, old and new, are Windows XP
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

What type of licencing are you using?
(perhaps the licence is allocated to the old PC)

Hi Ian
I will have to check on the licensing.
I have tried to map a drive to the share using another pc, but the same username, but it also results in the same "Username is invalid" error. If I use the old pc (managed to get it working) I connect to the share no problem!
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

ian,

have you tried an 'NBSTAT -R' on the new pc to refresh the netbios name cache ?

good luck

Kelly Stewart_1
Frequent Advisor

ianvt,

I told our local Pathworks guru about your posting. He hasn't worked on something like this for a long, long time, but searched his memory and came up with this:

If you are using domain-based security, then you can expect this type of error if you replace a PC. On installation, Windows generates a number called the "SID" that is used along with the computer name to identify the computer. The server expects the same computer to present the same SID as it had when it was added to the domain, or it will reject any connection request.

He suggested that you log onto the primary domain controller (that should be the ADMIN command on your OpenVMS machine), delete the PC from the domain, then add it back. When you add it back, the server should request it's current SID.

As I said, these are some musty memories, so you may want to research this in your Pathworks documentation before you try it. Hope this helps.

Kelly