New Discussion

RDB Encountered an error

DURGA_TECHM

RDB Encountered an error

HI

I am using vms os is │ VMS V7.3-2  and oracle rdb version is
Oracle Rdb V7.1-521

i found this error ..

Exception at 010FCA24 : KOD$CREATE_STREAM + 000006A0 %RDMS-F-EXQUOTA, exceeded quota -SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded IMAGNAME = "DSA1:[Ixyz][abc_EXE]Ixxx.EXE;11"

LOGINTIM = 16-JUL-2016 08:06:50.09                  MASTER_PID = 26E2F1AE

can any one help.. what action needs to be taken?

Durgaprasad G

5 REPLIES 5
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: RDB Encountered an error

> I am using vms os is | VMS V7.3-2 [...]

On Alpha?

Asking about VMS and/or RDB in an HP-UX forum may not be the best way
to get a useful answer.

http://community.hpe.com/t5/OpenVMS/ct-p/itrc-288

> [...] -SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded

These can be difficult to analyze.  To start:

show process /quota

> IMAGNAME ="DSA1:[Ixyz][abc_EXE]Ixxx.EXE;11"

Hiding potentially useful details ("xxx.EXE") may not be the best way
to get a useful answer.

Hoff
Honored Contributor

can any one help.. what action needs to be taken?

I'd be discussing options and alternatives with whoever authorized remaining in this archaic and unsupported software configuration. 

You'll also generally want to start your discussions of the Oracle Rdb product over to the Oracle forums.

When the server has been upgraded to a maintainable and supportable configuration with current OpenVMS Alpha and current Oracle Rdb versions installed and the installation and configuration documentation followed (and plans to get to OpenVMS I64 or maybe OpenVMS x86-64 if (when?) that becomes available are in progress), re-run your tests.   This software is very old, and old software often isn't entirely robust software.

If the tests continue to fail on current versions of OpenVMS Alpha and Oracle Rdb, then increase the process quotas to at least the Rdb-recommended minimums.  Those minimums may not be enough, and it may be required to increase the process quotas past those values, usually preferably maintaining proportional values across the process quotas.

For details on the error, see the DCL command HELP/MESSAGE/FAC=SYSTEM EXQUOTA or the error messages and recovery manual in the OpenVMS documentation — from that, the usual trigger is "An image could not continue executing or a command could not execute because the process exceeded one of its resource quotas or limits."   Rdb has documented quota requirements, and — as mentioned above — those can be minimum values; some applications will require larger quotas.

Which process quota is specifically involved here is not clear, unfortunately.  Hopefully Rdb was updated and became somewhat better about reporting that error, but OpenVMS itself isn't particularly good about reporting which process quota is involved.

related:

abrsvc
Respected Contributor

Without some idea of what action was being taken when the error occurred, there is little we can suggest.  While V7.3-2 is supported (for a little while longer anyway), I'm not sure about RDB V7.1.

What were you doing when this happened?  Is this reproducible or did it just happen once?

A little more info about the environment and actions will be helpful.

Dan

Hoff
Honored Contributor

V7.3-2 has no patches beyond those already available, so yes, it's sort-of supported.

There's no current SSL/TLS security for that release with TCP/IP Services package, among other issues and limitations know to exist in that release.   What SSL/TLS support is present is there is known to be insecure, and more than a few newwer servers will intentionally block access to those older releases, including what is available on OpenVMS V7.3-2 with TCP/IP Services.

OP: either upgrade off this OpenVMS release and to current Oracle Rdb, or make sure you notify management of the problems that are known here — so that you don't end up getting blamed if (when?) something goes sideways.

abrsvc
Respected Contributor

It sounds like this is more of an applications problem that is calling RDB.  Perhaps the database has grown enough to be exhaustiing process quotas?  Lets not get to hyped up about the age of the system here.  There may be reasons for not upgrading and we are not in a position to judge.  Yes it is better to upgrade to a more modern version, but that is not always the solution.

to the OP:  Any additional info you can provide?