Operating System - OpenVMS
1752662 Members
5820 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: share folder or file in OpenVMS

share folder or file in OpenVMS

HI All
how can I share file or folder on OpenVMS that can the microsoft OS(XP,2003)access to the file that in OpenVMS or the vice versa.
Account Manager
Senior System Support Engineer
Eng Amjad R. Barqawi
7 REPLIES 7
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

3 possibilities come to my mind:

1. The traditional Pathworks, now "advanced server"

2. The Samba based CIFS

3. NFS, part of Your TCPIP stack

See details at the VMS pages:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/network/networking.html

http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber

I want to inform that version of Openvms is 7.2 .
Account Manager
Eng Amjad R. Barqawi
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Amjad,

OpenVMS V7.2 on VAX or Alpha ?

This eliminates the official CIFS V1.0 version of SAMBA. But still would allow SAMBA V2.2.8 for both VAX or Alpha.

NFS would depend on whether your TCP/IP stack contains an NFS Server.

An old version of Pathworks is still possible for both VAX and Alpha, but you need to find kits and licenses.

Volker.

Dear all
I have OpenVMS v7.2 with oracle 9i and from Squlplus i want to make procedure to send or create report to remote directory /shared directory in another microsoft server.
Account Manager
Eng Amjad R. Barqawi
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Is the (Oracle) database on the OpenVMS server, or is OpenVMS just a client to a remote DB? If you need a create a file on a (remote) server you'd typically use the Oracle UTL_FILE packed and the CREATE DIRECTORY command. Best check the Oracle documenation/FAQs/Forums for help on that.

Personnaly I would probably turn things around.
SQL/Oracle are great at grabbing and reporting data.
They are NOT great, not designed to be great, at file manipulation and general purpose inter system communication.

So create a (DCL? Perl?) script to tell SQLplus to create a report. Then have that script move it, rename it, zip it, transfer it as you see fit. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Good luck!
Hein.

Hoff
Honored Contributor

I'm going to assume you're somewhat less familiar with programming on OpenVMS and far more familiar with programming on Microsoft Windows, based both on the contents of your posting here and on how you have asked the question.

If this assumption is correct, I'd suggest starting with the OpenVMS User's Guide and the OpenVMS Programming Concepts manuals here, both are part of the OpenVMS documentation set. This investment in time will provide you with substantial benefits and savings of time and effort back, particularly if you're planning to work with OpenVMS at all regularly.

The manuals are here:

http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/doc/

As for a more general approach here (getting tied and attempting to apply the specifics and norms and typical approaches of one platform can be problematic when working across platforms) I might well look at this problem space and consider ODBC or JDBC or such; allowing the remote system (which I'm guessing you're more comfortable with) doesn't perform the query remotely.

Another obvious potential approach would be to run the query behind a web server, and toss XML or such at the remote end.

As for the answer to your stated question, it won't work. OpenVMS does not offer an SMB CIFS client for Microsoft SMB CIFS networks. There are ftp-like file copy tools to this end, but there is no client for a Microsoft shared directory mechanism.

Further, you can't "mount" an SMB mount point on OpenVMS and exported from OpenVMS using the available SMB CIFS servers (PATHWORKS or Advanced Server or Samba/CIFS), and use this to send the files remotely. And getting into a local mount point on OpenVMS and served out to Windows clients isn't easy.

Put simply, OpenVMS can serve designated ranges of its disk storage via SMB CIFS, but it doesn't particularly share nor otherwise interact over the SMB CIFS communications.

Dear all
thank you for help and the nice words.
Account Manager
Eng Amjad R. Barqawi