New Discussion юеВ

Re: TCP/IP communication hangs on AD337A adapters

SOLVED
Go to solution
Carla P. Pinto
Occasional Advisor

TCP/IP communication hangs on AD337A adapters

Hi folks

When I connect and disconnect the cable of port B (AD337A adapter), after this TCP/IP communication in port A hangs but the link continues UP. TCP/IP communication returns to work after I disconnect and connect the cable port A. All the AD337A adapters of all the partitions have this exactly behavior (8 adapters).

Combo Adapters (AB290A) works fine.

Hardware: 2 RX7640 with two partition each one.
Software: OpenVMS v83.1h1
Mandatories Patches updated and TCP/IP 5.6 Eco 2
Each partition has two Dual Gigabit Ethernet (AD337A) and one Combo Gigabit Ethernet (AB290A).
I have configured TCP/IP on following ports:

тАвSlot 3 port A (AD337A) тАУ TCP/IP configured, connected to switch catalyst, link up and TCP/IP communication ok
Slot 3 port B тАУ not configured, not connected

тАвSlot 4 port A (AD337A) тАУ TCP/IP configured, connected to switch catalyst, link UP and TCP/IP communication ok
тАвSlot 4 port B тАУ not configured, not connected

тАвSlot 8 port A (AB290A) - TCP/IP configured, connected to switch catalyst, link UP and TCP/IP communication ok
тАвSlot 8 port B тАУ not configured, not connected

All the ports are full-duplex, MTU 1500, autonegotiate, speed 1000.

Someone knows this problem? I looked for on knowledge Database, documentation, SAW and I couldnтАЩt conclude anything.

Thanks in advance
Carla
7 REPLIES 7
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Carla,

Can you please capture the output of the following commands, paste into notepad, save as a .txt file and attach to a reply.

$ org_priv = f$setpriv("all") ! easier than figuring out the privs actually needed
$ ! save output for following ----------------------------
$ @sys$manager:tcpip$define_commands.com
$ ifconfig -av
$ mcr lancp show config/user
$ mcr lancp show device/all/char/internal/revision
$ ! end of part to paste ---------------------------------
$ set proc/priv=('org_priv') ! return to previous privs

Are you saying that if you connect something to port B of the AD337A in slot 3, (which is not configured), that it causes the connection on port A of the AD337A in slot 3 to stop working with TCP/IP? Can you explain what stops working, i.e. how did you detect that something wasn't working. For example, did all telnect connection hang?

Jon
it depends
Carla P. Pinto
Occasional Advisor

Hi Jon
Thanks for your reply.
My customer is migrating from Alpha to IA64. The systems are being implemented.
We plugged some cables from Switch Catalystic to Ports A in RX7640. I identified theses RX interfaces and I configured TCP/IP. After this I plugged and unplugged cables from Switch Catalystic to Ports B in RX7640. Ping to port A hangs when I unpluged and pluged port A TCP/IP communication back to work.
This problem occurs on all ports of AD337A adapter (slots 3 and 4). Telnet and ping stop working with TCP/IP and DECnet.
This problem doesn't occur on AB290A.
I don't have remote access to customer site but Tomorrow I will go to the customer site. I'll access the internet during the day but after 6PM (GMT-3) I'll be accessing.
I'm posting Lancp commands from one partition.
thanks so much for your attention & help
Carla
Richard Stockdale
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Can you escalate the problem?

This is a known issue with the driver. It is very odd, but resetting one of the ports clears the MAC address of the other port. It appears to be specific to how the driver deals with the Intel 82571 chip which is new to the AD337, AD338, AD339.

You can work around this by running the ports in promiscuous mode. I have a workaround driver for this until it is resolved.

- Dick Stockdale
Carla P. Pinto
Occasional Advisor

Hi Dick
I didn't escalate the problem because I need to collect sufficient information.
I'll go there tomorrow.
What can I do to implement a work around?
thanks & regards
Carla
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Carla,

Dick is the authority on this, as he one of the VMS engineers that support LAN drivers.

When you report the problem to hp, include this reference to this thread.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do&threadId=1325861

Then it has a higher chance of getting to Dick, so he can send you the work around driver he has.

Jon

p.s. If you save things as .rtf it makes it difficult for users with IE to view your attachment. Using notepad to save as a .txt attachment will make viewing easy for a much larger audience.
it depends
Carla P. Pinto
Occasional Advisor

Hi Jon
I have elevated this case and Dick was great. He solved the customer problem sending me a correction. The customer is satisfied and me.
Thanks so much for your attention and help
Carla
Carla P. Pinto
Occasional Advisor

Dick has solved this case sending to me a correction.
Thanks Dick and Jon