1748268 Members
3698 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: TCPIP Config

Mark Fogleman
Occasional Advisor

TCPIP Config

When trying to configure TCPIP I get No client license in the client and server component. Can someone tell me which license is missing..
9 REPLIES 9
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Mark,

welcome to the OpenVMS ITRC forum.

To configure and run TCPIP, you need to obtain and register a license PAK. The PAK product name should be UCX or NET-APP-SUP-nnn.

Volker.
Mark Fogleman
Occasional Advisor

I checked the database and have NET-APP-SUP-200 with 1100 units and UCX with 1050 units but when I try to start TCPIP services I recieve the error license check failed. This is a 4 node cluster. This system is the third that I am adding with one to go. ES40 running V73.2
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Mark,

Welcome to the ITRC OpenVMS Forum!

Also check if the CPU type is issued for the correct CPU tier.

DS (Departmental) licenses will not work for an ES (Enterprise) level CPU.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Mark,

I hit "SUBMIT" too soon.

There also needs to be a separate license for each node if one is using a common licensing database.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Mark,

the appropriate license (UCX or NET-APP-SUP-xxx) must be loaded on the system, where you try to start TCPIP. Check with $ SHOW LICENSE.

Volker.
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Are there more than one licensedatabase in the cluster ?? ( multiple systemdisks ? )

Hakan
Don't make it worse by guessing.........
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Here's some reading:

http://64.223.189.234/node/31

There is troubleshooting information there, including the LMF logical name used to flag PAK names.

Here, I'd expect you might have the licenses loaded after you've launched TCP/IP. I'd shut down and restart, and see if that cleared this.

The other issue (mentioned elsewhere) can be a disjoint or incorrectly-configured shared LMF database. There's a list of the (many) files that should be configured and shared in a typical OpenVMS cluster in the SYS$MANAGER:SYLOGICALS.TEMPLATE file and discussed at:

http://64.223.189.234/node/169

LMF$LICENSE is one of the files that is typically shared.

John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Mark,

The rule of one... one cluster => one license data base.

With the exception of NO_SHARE PAKS, all license PAKs are cluster wide.

In a cluster ALL nodes must see ALL license units for ALL products. To enable a product, a node needs to see sufficient units to cover it's own needs, plus those already in use in the rest of the cluster. The simplest way to achieve this is a single, cluster wide, shared license data base.

At run time doesn't matter what's in the license data base, it's what's LOADed that counts. See SHOW LICENSE/USAGE/FULL to see which nodes are consuming units. If the output isn't identical across all nodes, there's something wrong.

What's probably happening in your case is you've LOADed 1050 units of UCX, on this node, but the other two nodes are already using the 2100 units that they have loaded. Your node therefore needs to see 3150 units before it can start the product.

The easiest way to make this work is to REGISTER all your PAKs into a single, cluster wide LDB and LOAD all the units on all nodes. If you don't want to have a physically shared file for some reason (bad move IMHO), then make identical copies on each system disk. Each time you update the LDB, redistribute it across all nodes and issue a $ LICENSE LOAD/NOUNLOAD on all nodes.

Beware of unbalanced license data bases. They can work, but you may inadvertently introduce boot order dependencies, which will always reveal themselves at the least opportune time!

Things get a bit more complex if some nodes are deriving things like TCPIP services from a UCX PAK and others from a NET-APP-SUP-xxx PAK. In that case you need to use /INCLUDE or /EXCLUDE to specify which nodes use which PAK type.

Now, although it's somewhat counter intuitive, it's important that all PAKs with the same name have identical /INCLUDE or /EXCLUDE lists. This is easy to do, use /ALL.

For example:

$ LICENSE MODIFY UCX/ALL/INCLUDE=(NODE1,NODE2)
$ LICENSE MODIFY NET-APP-SUP-200/ALL/INCLUDE=(NODE3,NODE4)

Instead of thinking of a PAK as "belonging to" a particular node, it should be considered that node's contribution to the cluster wide pool for that product. The object of interest is the resulting, combined units for the product name.

The biggest problem with OpenVMS licensing is the system allows an infinite number of invalid configurations without any warning (other than "it doesn't work"). The model is somewhat difficult to understand, but once you've got your head around the inherent cluster wide nature, you'll realise that it makes a lot of sense.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Mark Fogleman
Occasional Advisor

Your help is appreciated