5732 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMS

SOLVED
Go to solution
davidbn123
Occasional Advisor

VMS - problem with Cobol ACCEPT, PROTECTED clause interferes with DISPLAY statements

Hi                  (21/02/15 - shown a full small program that has this problem - see further below)

I have a question re a problem with VMS Cobol on Alpha & Integrity and controlling the line number of DISPLAY statements when programs contain ACCEPT PROTECTED. This is an odd problem so I'll explain with an example. If I create a simple one line program (test_cob) that does DISPLAY "Hello" and run this, then the text is displayed immediately below the RUN TEST_COB line. So if I was on line 20 the text appears on line 21. If I then add a second line that is an ACCEPT. Then if this is simply ACCEPT WS_TEXT then when I run this again, the text Hello appears on line 21 and the Accept is on line 22. If I change the accept to ACCEPT WS_TEXT PROTECTED and run from line 20 then what happens is that Hello appears on line 1and the accept is on line 2.

What is even more odd is that if I have a three line program:

DISPLAY "Hello"

ACCEPT WS_TEXT

ACCEPT WS_MORE_TEXT PROTECTED

The mere presence of the PROTECTED clause on the 2nd accept affects the behaviour of the program. The ACCEPT PROTECTED statement is affecting where the text is displayed even though it has not even been executed. The text Hello appears on line 1, the first accept on line 2 and the second on line 3. Even if the ACCEPT PROTECTED statement is never executed at all it is affecting the display (and that makes me think it's a VMS Cobol problem rather than something odd with the Terminal I'm using).

This is really annoying where you have a program where you just want the screen display to move forward from where you are and not jump back up to the top of the screen (I don't think this ever happened prior to Alpha's).

Does anyone know why this is and how to get around it ?

All I can do at the moment is sidestep the problem by clearing the screen totally and displaying from line 1 - but that's not what I really want to do.  The DISPLAY "abc" AT LINE x COLUMN y clauses don't help either - I would need to know the current location of the cursor to know what to set 'x' to.

I'd be grateful for any insights into this problem.

David Ben-Nathan (Cable & Wireless).

Entire program showing this problem:

IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
PROGRAM-ID. DBN1_COB.
ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.
DATA DIVISION.
WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.
01 WS_TEXT PIC X(30).
PROCEDURE DIVISION.
MAIN SECTION.
MAIN10-START.

DISPLAY "Hello 1".
    ACCEPT WS_TEXT PROTECTED.

MAIN99-EXIT.
STOP RUN.

12 REPLIES 12
B Claremont
Frequent Advisor

Please post the entire test program.

www.MigrationSpecialties.com
abrsvc
Respected Contributor

From page 6-72 of the Cobol reference Manual, I suspec that one of hte following ay be the trigger here:

74. When you use the PROTECTED phrase without the NO BLANK or FILLER

phrase, the input field is filled with spaces prior to accepting data. If you also

use the UNDERLINED, REVERSED, BOLD, or BLINKING phrase, those

spaces have the specified character attributes.

75. If you use the PROTECTED phrase on a field that causes the cursor to

position past the last column position of the screen, the results are undefined.

Hope this helps a bit.  If not, please post the code as requested earlier.

Dan

John Gillings
Honored Contributor

David,

(Can you change the title of this post? "VMS" is a bit too generic!)

I'm not familiar with the behaviour of "ACCEPT PROTECTED", but from your description the issue seems to be your expectations of terminal input and output.

There are basically two ways a program can interact with a terminal.

1) Simple "scroll" behaviour. Output is simply to the screen, the terminal hardware handles scrolling. This is like teletype or typewriter behaviour where output is written to a scroll of paper. There is no possibility of going backwards. The underlying mechanism is to just send a stream of characters to the terminal.

2) Full screen behaviour. Output is written to a specific location on the screen. The order of output can be random. This is more complex to manage, as you need to design the program with a screen in mind. The underlying mechanism is a terminal control package. I think Cobol uses the SMG library.

Now, from what you've described, you want behaviour 1 (simple scroll), but the presence of the PROTECTED clause is telling Cobol that it (may?) need to use behaviour 2. The clause would have been detected by the compiler and will affect the terminal I/O initialisation in order to prepare the terminal for future full screen operations. That explains why the clause may have an influence before it's executed. I'd expect the presence anywhere in the program of any clause which implies full screen behaviour to have the same effect, for example "AT LINE or COLUMN", and possibly even formatting like BOLD or BLINK.

A crucible of informative mistakes
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

David,

You can test my theory fairly easily. Compile and link your test program, generating a MAP file. Look for references to routine names starting with "SMG$". I predict that if you have plain vanilla "DISPLAY" and "ACCEPT" statements there will be no SMG$ references. As soon as you add "PROTECTED" there will be a calls to SMG$ routines.

Hoff
Honored Contributor

Which emulator?   Many terminal emulators are buggy, and the protected scrolling regions aren't commonly used features.

If you have an old Windows box around, test with the VTstar emulator available with the Freeware тАФ that's the real VT source code.  Alternatively, test with a real VT.

davidbn123
Occasional Advisor

Re: VMS Problem with Cobol - ACCEPT PROTECTED interferes with DISPLAY

Thanks for replies so far. Sorry the title ended up as "VMS" without the rest of the line I intended. Not sure how it can be changed now.

Below is a full program showing the problem. If the 'PROTECTED' clause is removed then the display text appears on the next line. With PROTECTED it jumps to top of screen:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
PROGRAM-ID. DBN1_COB.
ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.
DATA DIVISION.
WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.
01 WS_TEXT PIC X(30).
PROCEDURE DIVISION.
MAIN SECTION.
MAIN10-START.

DISPLAY "Hello 1".
    ACCEPT WS_TEXT PROTECTED.

MAIN99-EXIT.
STOP RUN.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did try using NO BLANK clause and then the FILLER clause. I'm not sure exactly what these qualifiers do. In the actual program I am creating I need to use the WITH EDITING clause and also allow control key input (ie allow Up and Down arrow to scroll thru previous commands (same was as at DCL prompt - in fact I want the Accept line to work in a similar way to this. The overall effect I want is like the "$" prompt in DCL.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: VMS Problem with COBOL - ACCEPT PROTECTED interferes with DISPLAY

>Sorry the title ended up as "VMS" ... Not sure how it can be changed now.

By having each replier using the Post Options > Edit Reply (as you did) to change the subjects.

John Gillings
Honored Contributor

David,

This is beginning to make more sense. I'm guessing that Cobol uses the SMG$ input routines to implement command line recall and editing. In theory you can use SMG for just input or just output, but it's possible in practice that Cobol is initialising both when perhaps only one is used.

If you can't find the right combination of clauses, you could implement the kind of input you want using direct calls to SMG$ routines (SMG$CREATE_VIRTUAL_KEYBOARD and SMG$READ_COMPOSED_LINE).

davidbn123
Occasional Advisor

Thanks very much for your help - I've never used SMG before but I'll take a look at the documentation and see if I can find what I' looking for