108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ? detect terminal emulator software

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alexey Borchev
Regular Advisor

? detect terminal emulator software

My users are working on my Tru64 5.1b with Telnet. They logging in from Windows workstations using some old terminal emulator software.
I want to migrate my users to PuTTy.
I have to adjust my application to use PuTTy.

Can I somehow detect from Tru64, with which terminal emulator software I had logged in?

I've found following info in PuTTy documentation:
"Most servers you might connect to with PuTTY are designed to be connected to from lots of different types of terminal. In order to send the right control sequences to each one, the server will need to know what type of terminal it is dealing with. Therefore, each of the SSH, Telnet and Rlogin protocols allow a text string to be sent down the connection describing the terminal.

PuTTY attempts to emulate the Unix xterm program, and by default it reflects this by sending xterm as a terminal-type string. If you find this is not doing what you want - perhaps the remote system reports тАШUnknown terminal typeтАЩ - you could try setting this to something different, such as vt220.

If you're not sure whether a problem is due to the terminal type setting or not, you probably need to consult the manual for your application or your server.
"
- I.e. Tru64 should know about terminal.
The fire follows shedule...
5 REPLIES 5
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor
Solution

maybe the TERM variable reflect your terminalid?

But I think it is important what terminal type will be emulated by your windows software and depending on the used type you can set the terminal emulation on unix side - which is a standard (the windows application itself is not a standard, it is only an emulation of a standard terminal like VT100, VT200 etc.)
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Alexey Borchev
Regular Advisor

Yes, I've found 2 solutions:
1) It is possible in PuTTy to specify terminal type (xterm by default), any other will do the trick (but Tru64 may complain on 'terminal type is unknown')
In Unix You can see it in $TERM variable.

2) PuTTY can set environment variable on the host upon login.
Make variable Putty=Y
and check it in script.

I've hit another problem - it cannot show
ASCII symbols 1-32 (old terminal shows misc. faces&arrows). But it's unlikely Tru64 problem.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

use stty -a to check parameters between a working and non-working session.

Does it work if you specify another terminal type (like vt220?)
Alexey Borchev
Regular Advisor

1) Tank for stty -a.
It does show lots of info, I have to RTFM to understand whats it all about.

2) If I specify VT200 to Putty - connection - terminal type string, this value is successfully translated to UNIX.
I.e.
host> set
TERM=vt220
host>
and it seems working OK with command prompt.

My problems are futher down - my application (Concorde XAL) using screen with colours,
linedrawing and keyboard with ALT, CTRL and Russian language.

I had to launch my application with another options to operate against PuTTy.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

1) RTFM is always an option ;-)
but why not stty -a >file1 and the same for a working terminal session. Using diff to get the differences between them? Then reading "man termios" to get an explanation.
Life could be so easy!