New Discussion юеВ

Re: Finding if a system is virtual or not

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vineet Deshpande
Frequent Advisor

Finding if a system is virtual or not

Hi,

I am in need of a command which will tell me if a Tru64 system is virtual or not. Like in Solaris when we use "zonename" command we can come to know from the output if the system is a Zone or not. Is there such a command in Tru64 which will give me that information?

Thanks,

Vineet
4 REPLIES 4
Martin Moore
HPE Pro

Tru64 UNIX doesn't really have a virtualization concept such as Solaris zones. What are you trying to accomplish?

Martin
I work for HPE
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HPE products is just a click away HPE Support Center
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Liviu I.
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Tru64 is running on Alpha processors. When Alpha were a standard "de facto" in mission critical applications, machine virtualisation was not a hype. So you are running pretty sure on an physical machine (unless a simulator, that anyway Tru64 couldn't tell you much about).

You can get an extensive description HW/SW using sys_check :
sys_check -all > file.html
or man sys_check.

Or:
hwmgr show components
HWID=1 is the machine type (hwmgr show component -id 1)

HTH
L.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

As in above posts mentioned it's most unlikely that TRU64 is running as a virtual machine.
The best command is not sent to the OS but to the IT department :).

The closest you can get is that the system is runing on an emulator like CHARON-AXP.
In this scenario the emulating host can be a VM.

The OS itself doesn't need not know it's virtual! That's just the point of virtualization.

But,in general, you may find an indication looking at hardware. Like vmware installs a "vmware accellerated AMD PCnet Adapter" in a windows 2003 server VM.
Or you can try if any package is installed that could be related to "optimize" the virtual machine. Look at "setld -i" or "man -k virtual" .
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

It's possible you're running on a partition of a larger machine if you have one of the bigger Alpha models. The information is only available on the Alpha console or Alpha Management Station S/W.